Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

I think that Missouri deserves the jackass politicians it wants.  Let them choose between a moronic fascist and a time serving Democrat.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on August 21, 2012, 04:10:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 03:29:34 PM
Why?
Because if it can't it's not a good law.

Uh, give me a little more.  Why is it not a good law?  I'm a little confused as Meri seems to be saying I don't know what I'm saying.  So spell this one out for me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on August 21, 2012, 04:11:36 PM
I think that Missouri deserves the jackass politicians it wants.  Let them choose between a moronic fascist and a time serving Democrat.

A term serving Democrat?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 04:10:05 PM
Same science that makes his enemies guns work as well.

Well, western science-fu gives rifles with 550 meter effective range, while non-western science-fu gives rifles with 400 meter effective range. So, Science works beeyotches.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 21, 2012, 04:15:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 04:10:05 PM
Same science that makes his enemies guns work as well.

Well, western science-fu gives rifles with 550 meter effective range, while non-western science-fu gives rifles with 400 meter effective range. So, Science works beeyotches.

Most firefights happen within 300 yards.  It's extremely difficult to hit a target that is moving, hiding and shooting at you in over that range.

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

A term serving Democrat?

She's a time server, a place holder, a professional politician without a single political accomplishment to her record.  The biggest thing she did was give birth while in office, and forget to pay taxes on a plane owned by her husband.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Scipio

Quote from: Scipio on August 21, 2012, 04:24:01 PM

A term serving Democrat?

She's a time server, a place holder, a professional politician without a single political accomplishment to her record.  The biggest thing she did was give birth while in office, and forget to pay taxes on a plane owned by her husband.
Which, granted, is more than her opponent.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on August 21, 2012, 04:24:01 PM

A term serving Democrat?

Oh, so she didn't do anything you consider important.  Gotcha.

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 04:13:16 PM
Uh, give me a little more.  Why is it not a good law?  I'm a little confused as Meri seems to be saying I don't know what I'm saying.  So spell this one out for me.
It's not that complicated. If a law can't withstand a legitimate challenge it's not a good law. I'm not a law expert but I think this is the basis of a large part of the common law system.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 21, 2012, 04:37:07 PM
It's not that complicated. If a law can't withstand a legitimate challenge it's not a good law. I'm not a law expert but I think this is the basis of a large part of the common law system.

Umm, not really.

Parliament is supreme.  It can pass any law they want, no matter how silly (as long as it is within their jurisdiction).  It is up to Parliament to change bad laws.

Now in most of the world, there is the overlay of a Bill of Rights / Charter of Rights.  Now, a law can be challenged.  But it can't be challenged because "it is not a good law", but rather only if it violates specific enumerated rights of its citizens.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on August 21, 2012, 04:37:07 PM

What is a legitimate challenge?

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 04:50:51 PM
Umm, not really.

Parliament is supreme.  It can pass any law they want, no matter how silly (as long as it is within their jurisdiction).  It is up to Parliament to change bad laws.

Now in most of the world, there is the overlay of a Bill of Rights / Charter of Rights.  Now, a law can be challenged.  But it can't be challenged because "it is not a good law", but rather only if it violates specific enumerated rights of its citizens.
I think you are misreading what I said. Not that the law is challenged on the basis that it is not good. Rather, it is almost by definition no good if it can't withstand a legitimate challenge e.g. a bill of rights challenge.

This is also not intended to be a technical definition(see: I'm not an expert) but rather a simplified description of principle. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't courts struck down laws that don't show sufficient justification for the burden/restrictions they create? I'm thinking of Proposition 8 in California, but there may be better examples(or that may not be an example at all).

Neil

Given that having a charter of rights is a ridiculous infringement on the power of Parliament, I don't think laws that get struck down should be considered 'bad', per se.  Rather, we should have every judge who strikes a law down hanged.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

More serious reporting

Mitt Romney joins calls for US candidate to quit race
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19339362

QuoteUS media reacts

A New York Times editorial says that while Republicans are distancing themselves from Akin's comments, his views "expose a widely held belief among many fierce abortion opponents that a rape exception will be abused by women whose rapes were not 'legitimate'".

The Washington Post expands on that argument, saying: "Unfortunately, Mr Akin's remarks are not the first, nor are they likely to be the last, in a long-running effort to downplay the horror of rape as a way to restrict access to abortion. What they're really saying is that not all rape victims are victims, and so we shouldn't worry if they have to deal with unwanted pregnancy."

And the Atlantic says proponents of no-exception anti-abortion policies have tried to downplay or deny the occurrence of rape- or incest-related pregnancies: "The idea that trauma is a form of birth control continues to be promulgated by anti-abortion forces that seek to outlaw all abortions, even in cases of rape or incest."

Meanwhile, the San Francisco Chronicle says Democrats are trying to link Mr Akin's comments to vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan's position on abortion: "This is the Democratic National Committee playbook: Delegitimize a respectable position - that abortion is the taking of innocent life - not by refuting it but by assessing guilt by association."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.