News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voter ID controversy

Started by Martinus, August 17, 2012, 01:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Classic Languish thread, Marti sticks in the ground a big straw-man, channelling I presume the stereotypical republican.

And a whole bunch of posters come up with a range of modest, "this is how we do it here, and it seems to work" Others say voter impersonation isn't a problem and really this is about, as Berkut pointed out, a crude form of ballot rigging by disenfranchising certain types of voters. 

I await Marti's reply; sits, popcorn.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Solmyr on August 17, 2012, 02:38:52 AM
What about the large cities? Even here in Helsinki (population about 600k), there are thousands of voters per polling station, and there's no way the workers are going to remember by sight everyone who votes.

Well, we didn't have any large cities in WV, really.  Charleston, though, had a larger population than all of Fayette county, so it had a lot of voting precincts just within city limits.  Don't know the exact number, but the point is that there were enough that there are relatively few registered voters in each precinct, compared to what we have here in NC. 

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 17, 2012, 12:17:57 PM
Classic Languish thread, Marti sticks in the ground a big straw-man, channelling I presume the stereotypical republican.

And a whole bunch of posters come up with a range of modest, "this is how we do it here, and it seems to work" Others say voter impersonation isn't a problem and really this is about, as Berkut pointed out, a crude form of ballot rigging by disenfranchising certain types of voters. 

I await Marti's reply; sits, popcorn.

Why? Like I linked to - we already did this is exact same thread except that it was derspeiss who started it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2012, 12:16:17 PM
Yep - the obvious set of people who would not have ID are those who do not drive.

And who doesn't drive? People who tend to live in urban areas.

And what is more, if you don't drive, why, that makes it a bit of a pain in the ass to get to were you may need to go to get an ID - so maybe you just don't bother. So you just don't vote.

Which is the entire point of this "movement". There is a reason it is a completely partisan effort, which gets put into place in states like Pennsylvania, with a Republican legislature, but which often goes to the Democrats in presidential elections due to the concentration of voters in urban areas.

That is a pretty weak strawman you're trying to build. What happened to your normal standards?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

Strawman?

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Monsters from the ID!!

Since we're recycling and all...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2012, 02:51:38 PM
Strawman?

You're attempting to refute a position by setting up a new position that is unproven and lacking any foundation so that you can hammer anyone who argues with you i.e. a strawman argument.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

Quote from: Strix on August 17, 2012, 03:07:59 PM
Strawman?

You're attempting to refute a position by setting up a new position that is unproven and lacking any foundation so that you can hammer anyone who argues with you i.e. a strawman argument.

I am attempting to refute a position (that hasn't even been articulated, since nobody here has argued against my position) by setting up a new position (and what would that new position be? I have't done anything of the kind, since I've made no claim about what this opposition that so far doesn't even exist has claimed - my point has been entirely about what the effects of the law will be) that is unproven (the new position I am setting up is unproven? But it is a strawman? So you think a strawman would be setting up a proven, new position?) and lacking any foundation (this would be the strawman that is unproven and doesn't exist setup to counter an opponent who doesn't exist that lacks foundation? Right?) so that I can hammer "anyone" who argues with me - but nobody is arguing with me?

So it is apparently a preemptive strawman? That is unproven and lacking a foundation?

Gotcha. You've totally figured me out, and you win the argument. The one nobody is having. I can't sneak anything past you.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Watching Berkut and Strix debate is like watching that video where a monkey is using a frog as a fleshlight.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2012, 03:29:35 PM
Watching Berkut and Strix debate is like watching that video where a monkey is using a frog as a fleshlight.

Brings you to a jealous rage?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2012, 03:14:48 PM
Strawman?

I am attempting to refute a position (that hasn't even been articulated, since nobody here has argued against my position) by setting up a new position (and what would that new position be? I have't done anything of the kind, since I've made no claim about what this opposition that so far doesn't even exist has claimed - my point has been entirely about what the effects of the law will be) that is unproven (the new position I am setting up is unproven? But it is a strawman? So you think a strawman would be setting up a proven, new position?) and lacking any foundation (this would be the strawman that is unproven and doesn't exist setup to counter an opponent who doesn't exist that lacks foundation? Right?) so that I can hammer "anyone" who argues with me - but nobody is arguing with me?

So it is apparently a preemptive strawman? That is unproven and lacking a foundation?

Gotcha. You've totally figured me out, and you win the argument. The one nobody is having. I can't sneak anything past you.

*yawn*

Your position is that the Republicans want a Voter ID to prevent masses of Democrat voters from casting ballots. Your strawmen is that the Republicans are backdooring the Democrats by creating a system that unfairly targets urban aka inner city people who usually vote largely for Democrats. You attempt to prop up this strawman with a fairy tale about the lack of proper ID that urban aka inner city people as compared to suburban dwellers.  You than reinforce the strawman with a fallacy about people without licenses being unable to get to the DMV (or similar place) because they don't drive.

:moon:

Strix

Is a fleshlight like a skin flute?  :secret:

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on August 17, 2012, 03:30:28 PM

Brings you to a jealous rage?
:mad:

Berkut

Quote from: Strix on August 17, 2012, 03:32:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2012, 03:14:48 PM
Strawman?

*yawn*

Your position is that the Republicans want a Voter ID to prevent masses of Democrat voters from casting ballots.

Correct. That is my position, and one that is pretty well established by the facts.

Your strawmen is that the Republicans are backdooring the Democrats by creating a system that unfairly targets urban aka inner city people who usually vote largely for Democrats.

That is not a strawman. Look up the word.

That is an argument - it cannot be a strawman because it is MY argument. I am not creating an argument for anyone else.

You attempt to prop up this strawman with a fairy tale about the lack of proper ID that urban aka inner city people as compared to suburban dwellers. 

Wait - pointing out that urban dwellers tend to not have DLs more than suburban dwellers would prop up MY argument, so how could I be using it to prop up the strawman argument that I have created for someone else?

Oh right - you have no idea what the term "strawman" means.

You than reinforce the strawman with a fallacy

I reinforce the strawman with a fallacy. Really?

about people without licenses being unable to get to the DMV (or similar place) because they don't drive.

Again, how.....

Oh Christ, never mind.

0 rows returned

Berkut

I am not sure what that means.

I will assume you are mocking me for bothering to actually argue with Strixgovory, in which case I am duly shamed.

0 rows returned