Main Menu

Active Shooter Event Near Texas A&M

Started by Syt, August 13, 2012, 03:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 13, 2012, 04:07:19 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 13, 2012, 04:03:55 PM
What the hell are you surfing mongers?  :P

No, any 'friend' of a 'friend' facebook that posts that sort of crap, gets an automatic block.   :)

Too bad we no longer have automatic block. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2012, 03:53:23 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2012, 03:43:27 PM
So does sweden, but not somalia. Mexico's problem is it's lack of law enforcement.

Texas is full of Mexicans and Texans. Beating Somalia isn't a trivial exercise for them.  :D

A freidman anecdote has Friedman talking to a swedish official who claims that in sweden unemployment is 0%, friedman's response was in america unemployment among swedes is 0%. The thing is that gun violence correlates with gun control when comparing swedes and swedish-americans.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

Quote from: mongers on August 13, 2012, 04:00:45 PM
On the subject of 'shooter motivation' this is just bizarre:

Batman Massacre: WHY and HOW and WHO

Explosive Expose of the Batman Massacre: WHY, HOW and WHO by Grace Powers (July 311, 2012)

:blink:

Sorcha Faal?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

I'm glad Viking is in this thread to waste our time. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Sounds like the guy was being served and eviction notice and opened up with semi auto weapons.  His castle was not to be easily assaulted.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Viking

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2012, 04:38:44 PM

I'm just here to challenge your pre-conceptions of religion = good, guns = good americans have.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 13, 2012, 03:46:40 PM
Oh my.  From another thread about this:

QuoteHe hit 4 open men so that rules out Stephen McGee.

:XD:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2012, 04:45:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2012, 04:38:44 PM

I'm just here to challenge your pre-conceptions of religion = good, guns = good americans have.

Waste my time as I don't feel that way and any amount of you yapping about gun control isn't going to change the situation on the ground.

OttoVonBismarck

I think the gun issue may actually have been the first issue that was argued so many times on Languish such that any future arguments are pointless and stupid. I think it took about 8 years to get to that point.

MadImmortalMan

We'd have to get to the point where active shooter events are something way more common than the extreme outliers they are today before people will be willing to make any significant change. As it stands, it just not worth the cost.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 13, 2012, 04:55:32 PM
We'd have to get to the point where active shooter events are something way more common than the extreme outliers they are today before people will be willing to make any significant change. As it stands, it just not worth the cost.

3 in as many weeks?

I fall on the "anti gun control" side of things in Canada, but I do think you guys could do with a little bit more gun control.  Even something as simple as a restriction on magazine size might help a bit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

er, I'm pretty sure we have multiple events that 'big' on a daily basis in the US. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

Beeb's objection is that it's not economically deprived people of color getting whacked, and so he's concerned.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on August 13, 2012, 06:05:06 PM
Beeb's objection is that it's not economically deprived people of color getting whacked, and so he's concerned.

:angry:

Or really - oh nothing to see then. :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2012, 03:24:48 PM
gun control anybody?

And have Americans scared to leave their houses if they dont have their gun. Are you crazy?