News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

So, is the game worth getting? It's F2P, right - so is there a ton of little micro-transaction BS?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

frunk

Quote from: Kleves on September 06, 2012, 03:28:17 PM
So, is the game worth getting? It's F2P, right - so is there a ton of little micro-transaction BS?

You have to buy a copy of the game, so it's really B2P (buy to play).  After that there are micro-transactions but you can play perfectly fine without doing any of them.  If you do want to buy something you don't have to use cash, you can buy Gems using the in-game currency at the trading post and use the Gems to buy what you want.

The only micro-transaction items I would consider are the character slots or bank space.

Kleves

I am: tempted. How soloable is the game (which, I realized, may not be the focus of a game called Guild Wars)?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

frunk

Quote from: Kleves on September 06, 2012, 03:40:45 PM
I am: tempted. How soloable is the game (which, I realized, may not be the focus of a game called Guild Wars)?

I'd guess 90% of the PvE content (not counting dungeons) is soloable, the other 5% should be achievable with random other players dropping by, the last 5% will take a dedicated group.  The main PvE storyline/map can be finished with a combination of solo and pickup.

PvP and WvW obviously aren't soloable, although being in an organized group isn't required.  I think if you participate in WvW you'll end up in some sort of group or guild just so you can participate in larger organized activities.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 06, 2012, 04:36:29 PM
Quote from: frunk on September 06, 2012, 04:19:40 PM
PvP and WvW obviously aren't soloable,

No stealth classes?

Actually there's quite a bit of stealthing that goes on in WvW, just because the world is so big and most of the players tend to zerg up.  There are no dedicated stealth classes though.

PvP is generally 5v5 in smallish arenas, so you'll be interacting with your teammates whether you want to or not.  WvW chances are you'll frequently run across other players as well.  In PvE it isn't too hard to get off the beaten path to avoid people if you want, particularly once you get out of the start areas.

katmai

Sorry if i missed it, but curious what others think best professions for ranger, i took huntsmen for creating weapons, and leaning towards leather for armor creation, but wonder if jewel smith or artifice would bring more valuable items.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

The obvious choice is huntsman/leather.

However, you quickly find that the limiting factor in crafting are the "special" components that are generally kind of low rate drops, and they are shared across production professions.

In other words, if you take two production professions like Huntsman/Leatherworker, your progress in both will be limited by them both needing the same semi-rare drops.

Which is why it may be better to go with only one production profession, and pair it with one of the two non-production professions that do not use those rare drops - chef and jewelcrafting.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Thanks Berk, was suspecting something along those lines.

Kleves

Quote from: frunk on September 06, 2012, 04:19:40 PM
I'd guess 90% of the PvE content (not counting dungeons) is soloable, the other 5% should be achievable with random other players dropping by, the last 5% will take a dedicated group.  The main PvE storyline/map can be finished with a combination of solo and pickup.
Thanks, frunk, but I have one more question for you. Why do hate my bank account?  :sleep:

Jaron

I can't find this game ANYWHERE. *panic*
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on September 06, 2012, 08:55:48 PM

I told you where to get it cheapskate!

Grey Fox

:huh:

I don't understand, you are connected to the internet.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 06, 2012, 09:38:44 PM

:huh:

I don't understand, you are connected to the internet.

Most of the digital download places are sold out except for the Deluxe version.

Kleves

Quote from: katmai on September 06, 2012, 09:41:09 PM
Most of the digital download places are sold out except for the Deluxe version.
I just tried to buy from BestBuy digitally - now the order is being "processed."  <_<