American visitor feels unsafe in Calgary without his gun

Started by viper37, August 12, 2012, 09:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Clearly it is time to annex Canada so we can bring our enlightened gun laws to the ignorant masses.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2012, 10:12:16 PM
Sounds too much like what a smug Canadian would invent to make fun of Americans.

This.  The Calgary Herald got pranked.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2012, 09:19:30 PM
The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Fraud unmasked. :smartie:

Phillip V

Quote from: katmai on August 12, 2012, 11:23:34 PM
Clearly it is time to annex Canada so we can bring our enlightened gun laws to the ignorant masses.
+1

Valmy

So he wishes he could have gotten life in prison for shooting some Canadian radio publicity dudes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

Quote from: alfred russel on August 12, 2012, 11:17:42 PM
So...is the discussion is moving in the direction that the American should have been able to defend himself and gun laws should be liberalized?

Quite the contrary.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 11:24:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2012, 10:12:16 PM
Sounds too much like what a smug Canadian would invent to make fun of Americans.

This.  The Calgary Herald got pranked.
the toronto star article* mentioned that Wawra didn't respond to a interview request. Guess this could mean they just didn't find any Wawra guy and that their tricky way of saying so.

* http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1239438--u-s-tourist-s-pro-gun-letter-sparks-social-media-storm
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2012, 09:19:30 PM
The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Fraud unmasked. :smartie:
Canadian paper might have autocorrected his spelling.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2012, 12:29:01 AM
the toronto star article* mentioned that Wawra didn't respond to a interview request. Guess this could mean they just didn't find any Wawra guy and that their tricky way of saying so.

My guess is it's their semi-honest way of saying they left a message on his phone and he didn't call back.

There is just no chance an American would spell theater that way.

I noticed in your link that the Herald is denying it's a hoax.  How exactly would they know?

Admiral Yi

Aurora, Colo. is also a little bit fishy.

Do Canadians typically hyphenate hand gun?

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2012, 12:43:56 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2012, 12:29:01 AM

My guess is it's their semi-honest way of saying they left a message on his phone and he didn't call back.

There is just no chance an American would spell theater that way.

I noticed in your link that the Herald is denying it's a hoax.  How exactly would they know?
Seems like a pretty long way to go for a hoax to find a real Michigan cop and write a letter on his behalf. As for theatre maybe he's embraced the light of proper spelling (or tim could be right too :P ).

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2012, 12:49:35 AM
Seems like a pretty long way to go for a hoax to find a real Michigan cop and write a letter on his behalf. As for theatre maybe he's embraced the light of proper spelling (or tim could be right too :P ).

How do we know he's a Michigan cop?

My Lord Jesus Christ is also off.  That's Southern Baptist talk, not Michigan mainline Protestant or Catholic.

HVC

The spelling incongruities could also be caused be the letter being an actual written letter which was transcribed. So handgun becomes hand-gun (although I'm pretty sure we write handgun here, but never gave it much thought) and theater becomes theatre just by virtue of habit by the person transcribing.

As for the Harold saying it's not a hoax, from their point of view if they get a letter (or email) then to them it's not a hoax, they actually got something. Journalists are tricky that way :P .

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2012, 12:52:53 AM

My Lord Jesus Christ is also off.  That's Southern Baptist talk, not Michigan mainline Protestant or Catholic.

There are evangelicals all across thoe 50 states...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2012, 12:52:53 AM

From the star article. could just be that the hoaxers, if indeed it was hoaxers, picked a name from a phone book at random and the guy they picked happened to be a veteran with 20 years in the police force.