American visitor feels unsafe in Calgary without his gun

Started by viper37, August 12, 2012, 09:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2012, 12:58:00 AM
from the star article. could just be that the hoaxers, if indeed it was hoaxers, picked a name froma phone book at randon and the guy they picked happened to be a veteran with 20 years in the police force,

The only evidence I see so far that the letter writer is a Michigan cop, or that a guy living in Kalamazoo named Wawra is a cop, is the letter itself.

Anyone feel like making it interesting?

Here's another thing to consider: do you think a copper with 20 years on the force is going to shit himself when two white kids talk to him in a park?

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2012, 01:02:50 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2012, 12:58:00 AM
from the star article. could just be that the hoaxers, if indeed it was hoaxers, picked a name froma phone book at randon and the guy they picked happened to be a veteran with 20 years in the police force,

The only evidence I see so far that the letter writer is a Michigan cop, or that a guy living in Kalamazoo named Wawra is a cop, is the letter itself.

Anyone feel like making it interesting?

Here's another thing to consider: do you think a copper with 20 years on the force is going to shit himself when two white kids talk to him in a park?
Didn't remember that the letter itself mention he was a cop  (read about it on thursday from the star). I'm guessing that the star tried to find him and there's indeed a Walt Wawra from Kalamazoo whose a cop. Or the star didn't do any research at all, but i find that hard to believe because the Toronto star is a reputable paper.

As for why a cop with 20 years' experience would shit himself? Maybe he's a gun nutter like phillip and just feels uncomfortable without his gun :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2012, 01:10:18 AM
Didn't remember that the letter itself mention he was a cop  (read about it on thursday from the star). I'm guessing that the star tried to find him and there's indeed a Walt Wawra from Kalamazoo whose a cop. Or the star didn't do any research at all, but i find that hard to believe because the Toronto star is a reputable paper.

As for why a cop with 20 years' experience would shit himself? Maybe he's a gun nutter like phillip and just feels uncomfortable without his gun :P

His letter is in the OP.

I'm guessing that the Star looked up a phone number for a Walt Wawra in Kalamazoo, called the number, and left a message.  If they had contacted the Kalamazoo PD to confirm that Walt Wawra works there, I gotta think they would have mentioned that.

But hey, there's a good chance that officer Wawra of Kalamazoo, Michi. is the dumbest fuck on the planet.  I think you should take the bet.

HVC

and it looks like the CBC got into contact with him (or someone did as he comments about the letter)

QuoteHe said despite all the negative attention his letter has received — including at least one threatening phone call to his home — he doesn't regret writing it.

"What concerned me is two young men just approached us and stopped us, stopping us by being in our path, and [began] talking to us without even being welcome to talk to us. They just took it upon themselves to yell at us."

He said he should have the right to protect himself if things had escalated

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/08/08/calgary-nose-hill-gun-stampede-police-us.html
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

HVC

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2012, 01:16:54 AM

As for why a cop with 20 years’ experience would shit himself? Maybe he's a gun nutter like phillip and just feels uncomfortable without his gun :P

His letter is in the OP.

I'm guessing that the Star looked up a phone number for a Walt Wawra in Kalamazoo, called the number, and left a message.  If they had contacted the Kalamazoo PD to confirm that Walt Wawra works there, I gotta think they would have mentioned that.

But hey, there's a good chance that officer Wawra of Kalamazoo, Michi. is the dumbest fuck on the planet.  I think you should take the bet.
can i still take the bet? what do i win? :P

Admiral Yi

Nope, offers off the table.

HuffPo link is not working for me.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2012, 01:27:29 AM
Nope, offers off the table.
boo :( :P

HuffPo link is not working for me.
Walt Wawra, a U.S. police officer, who encountered online ridicule after writing a letter lamenting not having his gun during a visit to Calgary, plans to write a second letter.

This time it is to clarify the incident, he says.

"I like truth — I don't like conjecture," he told the Calgary Herald.

"If I bear some kind of responsibility for any kind of misinformation or misunderstanding, that is something I would like to clear up."

Wawra's letter sparked a Twitter frenzy, with many Canadians taking the opportunity to ridicule U.S. gun laws.

A tweet referenced a Calgary restaurant that placed a sign that read, "Have you been to the Stampede yet? Just kidding. Don't shoot me."

The Calgary Stampede got in on the fun and tweeted, "We also want to know if you've been to the Stampede yet? If not, a reminder that next year's dates are July 5-14."

It turns out this isn't the first time Wawra has expressed his opinion via letters to the editor.

Last year, when President Obama invited rapper Common to the White House, right after Public Safety Officer Eric Zapata in Kalamazoo, Mich., died in the line of duty, Wawra wrote to the Kalamazoo Gazette, saying that the invitation was a disservice to the country, as the rapper celebrated the death of cops.

However, some have argued that while Wawra's approach may not be the best, his argument has merit.

National Post's article titled, "How not to make the case for concealed-carry of handguns," suggested that until society finds a way to eliminate mass shootings, Wawra's argument is understandable.

Wawra's letter, and the ensuing media storm, continues to fuel a debate on gun control and highlights cultural differences between Canada and U.S.

CountDeMoney

Plenty of cops of 20 years never make it past patrolman.  There are reasons for that.

PDH

Laramie cops are better than this!  One of the locals left his gun in the bathroom of a bar.  He was definitely not afraid of rodeo boys.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valdemar

So, let me get this straight.

this guy is being harrassed a bit by a street vendor, and he wants to pull a gun?

Either he is really touchy, or from a very small town :D

Hope he doesn't travel to Europe.. I remember the gypsies in Rome as intimidating, not so much the hawkers for shows and restarants.. he would have them down in droves if he had a gun :D :D

V

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017