American visitor feels unsafe in Calgary without his gun

Started by viper37, August 12, 2012, 09:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2012, 07:40:07 AM
Heh, colour me surprised. Dude is real.  :lol:
Insomnia and some google skills; they're my gift to languish :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 13, 2012, 07:50:45 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2012, 07:40:07 AM
Heh, colour me surprised. Dude is real.  :lol:
Insomnia and some google skills; they're my gift to languish :P

This guy probably goes to the same bar where you find the frugal Scotsman and the covetous Jew. Where every personified stereotype feels at home.  ;)

Hopefully, they make him hand over his gun at the door.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valdemar

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2012, 07:54:41 AM

This guy probably goes to the same bar where you find the frugal Scotsman and the covetous Jew. Where every personified stereotype feels at home.  ;)

Hopefully, they make him hand over his gun at the door.

:lol:

V

Drakken

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 12, 2012, 09:29:57 PM
I hear Bret the hit man Hart randomly attacks people in Canada.

The guy's heart and body is in such a bad state, it couldn't even attack a lamppost if he was drunk.  :(

Josephus

I'd feel unsafe in Calgary without a gun. All those rednecks and all.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 10:08:56 PM
Sounds perfectly plausible.  Unfortunately.
what hit me, is that he was a cop.  A American commoner panicking in this situation?  Ok, it could happen.  But a cop panicking and reaching for his gun when asked if he's been to the Stampede??  Wtf?  Are American cops as stupid as the 70s movies&tv (Smokey and the Bandit, Dukes of Hazard, etc)?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

YOu know, I get it actually.

If he's been a cop, carrying a sidearm for 20 years, and has a concealed carry permit and carries a sidearm while off-duty as well, I bet he feels "unsafe" without it.  It's all about subjective perception.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2012, 01:02:50 AM
Here's another thing to consider: do you think a copper with 20 years on the force is going to shit himself when two white kids talk to him in a park?
Americans as easily impressed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valdemar on August 13, 2012, 07:27:28 AM
So, let me get this straight.

this guy is being harrassed a bit by a street vendor, and he wants to pull a gun?

Either he is really touchy, or from a very small town :D
Either way, he makes the case for restricting conceal&carry.  Had he had his gun, he would have shot these people feeling threatened.
And he's become way too dependant on his gun to insure his protection.

lustindarkness

I would have reacted the same way. I grew up in a crime ridden city and the almost instinctual paranoia that comes from that has come in handy a few times. I also do not know what the stampede is. Now, I would not have sent a letter to some newspaper about it.

Regarding what he wrote, does it say anywhere he would have pulled out his gun?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Neil

Once you let people carry handguns, they don't think twice about using them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 13, 2012, 10:06:31 AM
I would have reacted the same way. I grew up in a crime ridden city and the almost instinctual paranoia that comes from that has come in handy a few times. I also do not know what the stampede is. Now, I would not have sent a letter to some newspaper about it.

HE WAS PARTICIPATING IN DEMOCRACY.

PRC

Obviously people have to maintain a level of alertness in their surroundings but having an instinctual paranoia would seem to prevent being neighborly.  Would constantly being suspicious  prevent you from helping someone who appeared to be in distress?

lustindarkness

Quote from: PRC on August 13, 2012, 11:08:02 AM

Obviously people have to maintain a level of alertness in their surroundings but having an instinctual paranoia would seem to prevent being neighborly.  Would constantly being suspicious  prevent you from helping someone who appeared to be in distress?

Maybe, but better to be alive than a dead good samaritan. I am extremely cautious if I stop to help someone. Example, I will only stop on the highway if I see someone obviously in trouble (accident, stuck in muddy grass after losing control a rainy day, fire, etc...).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Regarding what he wrote, does it say anywhere he would have pulled out his gun?

See, from a Canadian perspective his reaction appears ludicrously over-the-top - to the point of parody. Hence, my initial reaction that it must be fake.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius