News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

USPS going...going...going...

Started by CountDeMoney, August 09, 2012, 10:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

In a somewhat related note, Argentina, which is flirting with going the way of Venezuela, nationalized its major airline a few years ago. I was recently on a flight where there was an insert with the president of the country explaining the move. She commented that profits should not be a primary focus of the airline, or the rural parts of the country would have to get around on donkeys. Apparently your transport options in argentina are modern passenger jets, or donkeys. Buses, cars, and even horses must not suited for travel.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on August 10, 2012, 11:18:17 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2012, 11:13:00 AMAnd I don't think there has been ANY suggestion so far by anyone to end postal delivery service to anyone in any case. Closing post offices does not mean the mail is no longer going to be delivered.
I could imagine this to be a vicious circle though: less post offices might mean less mail, which may then not be enough to cover the operating cost.

That said, I think the days of paper-based communication are over and we need to rethink the concept of a postal service for mail.

But USPS workers are unionized.  THIS CANNOT HAPPEN.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

From an investment standpoint, it seems to me that front-loading those retirement costs now could have a compounding effect in future years that would make it much easier for the USPS to be profitable, say, ten years out. Right?

That seems worth running a loss for a little while.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on August 10, 2012, 11:21:29 AM
In a somewhat related note, Argentina, which is flirting with going the way of Venezuela, nationalized its major airline a few years ago. I was recently on a flight where there was an insert with the president of the country explaining the move. She commented that profits should not be a primary focus of the airline, or the rural parts of the country would have to get around on donkeys. Apparently your transport options in argentina are modern passenger jets, or donkeys. Buses, cars, and even horses must not suited for travel.

On a general note, I can't wait until the Royal Marines assrape the Argies again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2012, 11:58:03 AM

On a general note, I can't wait until the Royal Marines assrape the Argies again.
Those days are gone. Tyr is Britain's future now. Contemplate that and weep.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2012, 12:13:26 PM

:cry:

garbon

I don't believe that for one minute.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 12:25:07 PM

Those days are gone. Tyr is Britain’s future now. Contemplate that and weep.

I don't believe that for one minute.
There are chavs everywhere! Plus, you know, aren't they getting rid of all their boats? Ships! Manly men call them ships. I must remember.

Sure there will be sheilbh like conclaves here and there (and they'll be fabulous)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

I wasn't meaning the marine bit - just that Britain was full-up of Tyrs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Forgotten Realms aside, I always thought Tyr was more Norse than limey.
PDH!

Ed Anger

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2012, 09:26:23 AM
Anyone understand the rationale for pre-paying the pension?
Pensions should be pre-paid, or rather fully funded.  Only the governments can get away with pay-as-you-go plans.  Is the USPS thing different from mere funding of pension plans?

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2012, 09:11:59 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2012, 09:09:45 AM
That's the Seedy I know.
Can't wait till they do the same thing to the Department of Defense or NASA.

Oh, but they won't.
Wait, why would they kill NASA?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 12:36:49 PM
I wasn't meaning the marine bit - just that Britain was full-up of Tyrs.

Japan, OTOH...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2012, 01:08:03 PM
Pensions should be pre-paid, or rather fully funded.  Only the governments can get away with pay-as-you-go plans.  Is the USPS thing different from mere funding of pension plans?

The USPS thing is different from mere funding of pension plans.