And we're back!

Main Menu

USPS going...going...going...

Started by CountDeMoney, August 09, 2012, 10:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2012, 01:56:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2012, 01:08:03 PM
Pensions should be pre-paid, or rather fully funded.  Only the governments can get away with pay-as-you-go plans.  Is the USPS thing different from mere funding of pension plans?

The USPS thing is different from mere funding of pension plans.
In what way?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2012, 01:57:38 PM
In what way?

My understanding is they have to pre-pay pension contributions for a signficant period into the future.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2012, 03:15:45 PM
In what way?

My understanding is they have to pre-pay pension contributions for a signficant period into the future.
That doesn't make sense.  Unless you need to catch up because your pension fund is underfunded, the yearly contributions should be tied to the yearly increase in pension liabilities.  Then again, I'm not a pension actuary.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2012, 03:33:06 PM
In what way?

That doesn't make sense.  Unless you need to catch up because your pension fund is underfunded, the yearly contributions should be tied to the yearly increase in pension liabilities.  Then again, I'm not a pension actuary.

There are several kinds? :bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2012, 12:13:26 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2012, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 10, 2012, 11:21:29 AM
In a somewhat related note, Argentina, which is flirting with going the way of Venezuela, nationalized its major airline a few years ago. I was recently on a flight where there was an insert with the president of the country explaining the move. She commented that profits should not be a primary focus of the airline, or the rural parts of the country would have to get around on donkeys. Apparently your transport options in argentina are modern passenger jets, or donkeys. Buses, cars, and even horses must not suited for travel.

On a general note, I can't wait until the Royal Marines assrape the Argies again.
Those days are gone. Tyr is Britain's future now. Contemplate that and weep.

The Royal Marines will do just fine, they're well provided with equipment and the Royal Navy's amphibious lift/assault ships are up the job.
The main SBS base is just down the road from here and they seem to have plenty of nifty equipment. :ph34r:

However the lack of air cover, aircraft carriers along with the dearth of surface AA and surface combat ships would probably be an insurmountable problem.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2012, 01:39:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2012, 09:11:59 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2012, 09:09:45 AM
That's the Seedy I know.
Can't wait till they do the same thing to the Department of Defense or NASA.

Oh, but they won't.
Wait, why would they kill NASA?

They keep talking about antediluvian dates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2012, 05:28:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2012, 01:39:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2012, 09:11:59 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2012, 09:09:45 AM
That's the Seedy I know.
Can't wait till they do the same thing to the Department of Defense or NASA.

Oh, but they won't.
Wait, why would they kill NASA?

They keep talking about antediluvian dates.

They keep very well when dried actually.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2012, 03:33:06 PM

They removed the USPS from paying into the federal civilian pension fund--where everybody had 7% of their paycheck deducted and set aside--and forced it to build up a fund that it can start drawing from in 2017.

Pre-paying pension funds isn't necessarily a bad idea--except when the next 75 years' worth of projected costs are required to be paid inside of 10 years.

QuotePOSTAL SERVICE RETIREMENT AND HEALTH BENEFITS FUNDING
The United States Postal Service shall pay into such Fund–
    $5,400,000,000, not later than September 30, 2007;
    $5,400,000,000, not later than September 30, 2008;
    $5,400,000,000, not later than September 30, 2009;
    $5,500,000,000, not later than September 30, 2010;
    $5,500,000,000, not later than September 30, 2011;
    $5,600,000,000, not later than September 30, 2012;
    $5,600,000,000, not later than September 30, 2013;
    $5,700,000,000, not later than September 30, 2014;
    $5,700,000,000, not later than September 30, 2015; and
    $5,800,000,000, not later than September 30, 2016.

The Postal Service Retiree Health Benefit Fund already has more than $42 billion in it right now:  equivalent to the projected costs of the next 20 years' of retiree health premiums.  And, they've already overpaid $6.9 billion into another federal pension plan, FERS last year alone;  and yet, when they ask for the money they've overpaid back in order balance their operational losses, they're told no. 

They have been forced to overpay into the retirement fund at an astronomical rate, far beyond what is needed.  Because that's what you do when you want to break government, and privatize its services.

Fun fact:  if it were not for the pre-payment requirements, the USPS would've turned a $110 million operational surplus in 2011.

So honestly--if the USPS has posted a net $20 billion loss from 2007 to 2010, but has paid over $21 billion into the pension fund over the same amount of time, is it really as broken as it looks?

But no, it's obviously a union's fault somewhere.  Even the one that agreed to jettison 110,000 jobs since the 2008 meltdown, 1/5th of the USPS workforce.

MadImmortalMan

Seems like pre-paying all of the funds required to cover just the current obligations of the fund plus those projected for the current employees would be sufficient.

Or maybe that does equal about the 75 year limit, I dunno.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Keep the USPS, and jettison the TSA.

Heck, jettison the entire Dept of Homeland Security, and put the Coast Guard back under the Navy where it belongs.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 11, 2012, 12:09:45 AM

Heck, jettison the entire Dept of Homeland Security, and put the Coast Guard back under the Navy where it belongs.

Amen on both counts.

Tonitrus

Every time I hear "homeland", I want to choke someone.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 11, 2012, 01:09:57 AM
Every time I hear "homeland", I want to choke someone.

It's just so...well...British.  Ya know?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2012, 12:14:15 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 11, 2012, 12:09:45 AM

Amen on both counts.

Fucking Puddle Pirates.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".