Main Menu

USPS going...going...going...

Started by CountDeMoney, August 09, 2012, 10:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 11, 2012, 01:50:20 AM
Fucking Puddle Pirates.

:lol:

That's awesome, never heard that one before.

:mad:  But you forget:  the United States Coast Guard fights what you fear: Haitians.  And Cubans on floating Edsels.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 11, 2012, 12:09:45 AM
Keep the USPS, and jettison the TSA.

Heck, jettison the entire Dept of Homeland Security, and put the Coast Guard back under the Navy where it belongs.

The Coast Guard was never under the Navy, except in time of war.  It was part of the Treasury Department until the 1960's, when it was moved to the Department of Transportation, and then moved to Homeland Security a decade ago.

CountDeMoney

True, dps...and as the USN and the USCG really have different missions, it wouldn't make real sense to put them under the Dept of the Navy.

11B4V

Quote from: dps on August 11, 2012, 01:59:55 AM

Heck, jettison the entire Dept of Homeland Security, and put the Coast Guard back under the Navy where it belongs.

The Coast Guard was never under the Navy, except in time of war.  It was part of the Treasury Department until the 1960's, when it was moved to the Department of Transportation, and then moved to Homeland Security a decade ago.

Yes. The Departments;
Army
Air Farce
Navy

are the only real ones.

Marine Corps: just Naval Infantry really.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on August 11, 2012, 01:59:55 AM

It is a time of war.  :P

Also, everything in DoHS should really belong in Justice/Interior.  Hell, even if were to accept that TSA should exist, it should be in Transportation.

And we should chuck the ATF and DEA too...should be, at best, sub-departments of the FBI.  It's not like every freakin' Department needs their own cops.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 11, 2012, 02:21:29 AM
And we should chuck the ATF and DEA too...should be, at best, sub-departments of the FBI.  It's not like every freakin' Department needs their own cops.

What, and make the ATF and DEA even dumber? If anybody needs to be swung under FBI and Justice Department, its the Securities and Exchange Commission.   Now THAT should be an arm of the FBI.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2012, 02:32:41 AM

What, and make the ATF and DEA even dumber? If anybody needs to be swung under FBI and Justice Department, its the Securities and Exchange Commission.   Now THAT should be an arm of the FBI.

I'd put the SEC under the army.  Sure they aren't the best investigators, but the trials are cheaper and quicker.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

It's not like every freakin' Department needs their own cops.
That's one of those things I never got about the USA. Where I lived in the US, the university had some kind of armed police force, the subway had its own police force, the highway had its own police force, the airport had its own police force, then there was the general police force, but that changed to another one when you just drove a mile or so to the next place. Seems hugely inefficient to have so many different agencies for what is pretty much the same general task.

Tonitrus

That's to keep our cops from being totalitarian tools of a police state.  They'd never be able to properly coordinate our oppression.  ^_^

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2012, 03:33:06 PM
That doesn't make sense.  Unless you need to catch up because your pension fund is underfunded, the yearly contributions should be tied to the yearly increase in pension liabilities.  Then again, I'm not a pension actuary.

Which is why I asked if anyone knew the rationale.

Seedy has proposed the theory that it's an excercise in union-busting, but that theory runs into the difficulty of explaining how an excercise in union busting passed a Democratic controlled Senate.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2012, 01:16:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2012, 03:33:06 PM
That doesn't make sense.  Unless you need to catch up because your pension fund is underfunded, the yearly contributions should be tied to the yearly increase in pension liabilities.  Then again, I'm not a pension actuary.

Which is why I asked if anyone knew the rationale.

Seedy has proposed the theory that it's an excercise in union-busting, but that theory runs into the difficulty of explaining how an excercise in union busting passed a Democratic controlled Senate.

So the problem is that it is contrary to preconceived assumptions?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2012, 01:16:26 PM

The houses of the 109th Congress were both controlled by the Republican Party.  The election winners didn't assume office until February, 2007 or whenever they fuck they're sworn in.  January?
The Postal Accountability and Fuck Over The USPS Because It Has Union Employees Act was passed on the last day of session in December, 2006.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2012, 01:26:39 PM
So the problem is that it is contrary to preconceived assumptions?

Assumption, singular.

CountDeMoney

And honestly, I don't think it's as much union busting as much as it is an attempt to privatize it 100%.   

And besides, what better way to force privatization and shrink gubmint than to legislate an organization into bankruptcy?

The myth that somehow it's a dysfunctional organization because it has union employees is just an extra bonus illusion for Teabagger whackoff fantasies.

DGuller

Hopefully, when mail is privatized, all that junk mail will stop, with the rates being 10x what they are now.