News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

USPS going...going...going...

Started by CountDeMoney, August 09, 2012, 10:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I don't understand why a completely non-addressed flier would be put in a mailbox (/why one would need a sticker to prevent that)/ I don't think that's what DGuller was thinking when he was talking about junk mail.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2012, 09:35:32 AM
I don't understand why a completely non-addressed flier would be put in a mailbox (/why one would need a sticker to prevent that)/ I don't think that's what DGuller was thinking when he was talking about junk mail.

You conveniently disregarded Syt's clarification?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Well his clarification actually states that if it carries your name you are out of luck...so I'd say his post is a bit opaque. I don't understand how unaddressed mail would get in your mailbox. How would they know to deliver it to you?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2012, 09:45:52 AM
Well his clarification actually states that if it carries your name you are out of luck...so I'd say his post is a bit opaque. I don't understand how unaddressed mail would get in your mailbox. How would they know to deliver it to you?

Company pays kid to drop flyers in the mailboxes in an area. Kid ignores the ones with "no ads plz" signs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2012, 09:30:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2012, 09:26:54 AM
But back to what DGul said - does the postman pre-sort your mail then when he sees a sticker on your mailbox?

Why would the postman deliver stuff that isn't addressed to you?
They do it all the time. At my last address my weekly ritual when getting th mail out of the apartment complex' mail box was to go through it and put all the mail that should have gone to other apartments or other buildings back in the drop.  They were pretty bad. 
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 12, 2012, 09:58:58 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2012, 09:30:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2012, 09:26:54 AM
But back to what DGul said - does the postman pre-sort your mail then when he sees a sticker on your mailbox?

Why would the postman deliver stuff that isn't addressed to you?
They do it all the time. At my last address my weekly ritual when getting th mail out of the apartment complex' mail box was to go through it and put all the mail that should have gone to other apartments or other buildings back in the drop.  They were pretty bad. 

That's a mistake.

Syt

Companies pay postal service to deliver flyers/ad magazines along with the mail. In fact, the postal service has its own weekly flyer with non-news in which they put additional flyers from ad customers. In Vienna you'll also get small plastic bags with flyers on your door knob (distributed by kids/youths/poor people) unless you have a sticker on your door that you don't want that shit.

In Austria it used to be that in most places, esp. apartment buildings, the mailboxes were locked, with no slit. The mailmen had keys to those boxes. Since the EU considered that an unfair advantage for the public postal service we now got ones with your usual mail slit, so despite having a sticker for "no unaddressed flyers, please" I now get flyers and shit from food delivery services and other shit.

Personally, those ocmpanies go on my "I'll never buy from you" list. If they can't pay attention to my not wanting their unsolicited crap, I don't have much faith in their paying much attention to customers' wishes in general.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2012, 09:48:31 AM

Company pays kid to drop flyers in the mailboxes in an area. Kid ignores the ones with "no ads plz" signs.

I think that's illegal here / here in the city the best they can do is stick it somewhat under my door as it isn't possible to each inside the mailboxes.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 12, 2012, 10:03:16 AM
Companies pay postal service to deliver flyers/ad magazines along with the mail. In fact, the postal service has its own weekly flyer with non-news in which they put additional flyers from ad customers. In Vienna you'll also get small plastic bags with flyers on your door knob (distributed by kids/youths/poor people) unless you have a sticker on your door that you don't want that shit.

Gotcha.  I get those same sort of flyers ("Valpak coupons!") but they at the very minimum always have my address listed.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Syt on August 12, 2012, 10:03:16 AM
In Austria it used to be that in most places, esp. apartment buildings, the mailboxes were locked, with no slit. The mailmen had keys to those boxes. Since the EU considered that an unfair advantage for the public postal service we now got ones with your usual mail slit, so despite having a sticker for "no unaddressed flyers, please" I now get flyers and shit from food delivery services and other shit.

The US answer was to make it illegal for anyone but the (semi-)public postal service to deliver anything to mailboxes.

Admiral Yi

So we end up with Chinese and pizza delivery menus on the doorknob instead.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2012, 09:48:31 AM

In the US, it's not legal for anybody to put anything except mail delivered by the USPS in your mailbox, so some kid with flyers can't do that here.

EDIT:  Well, heck I skipped ahead.  I see this was already pointed out.