Any foreign exchange students around here?

Started by merithyn, August 07, 2012, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2012, 03:21:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that you're really not supposed to drink at all if you have type I diabetes.  Certainly my diabetic fellow curler never, ever drinks, and having a drink after curling is a pretty deeply ingrained part of the game.

Some brief googling suggests it can be safe to drink in moderation (1-2 max per day) if your blood sugar is well under control.   :zipped:

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. Until now, it was a non-issue. He had no interest in drinking at all. If he's showing an interest in seeing what it's like, I'd much rather I had some control in this experimentation than that he try it with his friends. That way, I can have him try to take his blood sugar after a drink or two to show him how hard it is to do and what affect the alcohol has on his blood sugar.

I'm lucky that he's waited this long to ask. And that he's asked me rather than just experimenting on his own.  :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Unless he is some kind of social outcast, you can expect him to drink alcohol with his peer group. That's what people in his age do in Europe.

Josquius

Yeah. Whether its the smart well behaved kids or the scum everyone drinks, its just normal behaviour. If there's a medical reason though I doubt he'd become an outcast for not drinking.

I've a diabetic friend who drinks regularly and he's alright as long as he sticks to one or two. Once he got wasted though and...well it was a close call.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

He is to go to Germany for a year, not have a beer and not get "romantically involved" with anyone  :hmm:

Back in the day a lot of Germans I knew would confine themselves to just a couple of beers, admittedly on a more or less daily basis. Perhaps that culture has changed, Zanza will know.

Of course he might be the sort of person who, once he has two, has a couple more..........which could be dangerous.

A typical German beer is 5% btw, no different to American beer in that respect......what annoys about the likes of Budweiser is that it has all that alcohol in it and tastes like gnat's piss.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2012, 02:58:27 AMBack in the day a lot of Germans I knew would confine themselves to just a couple of beers, admittedly on a more or less daily basis. Perhaps that culture has changed, Zanza will know.
My experience suggests that not drinking during the week and binge drinking on weekends is what 18 year olds do.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2012, 02:58:27 AM
A typical German beer is 5% btw, no different to American beer in that respect......what annoys about the likes of Budweiser is that it has all that alcohol in it and tastes like gnat's piss.

Never really understood this, why is stronger tasting piss a good thing?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2012, 05:12:13 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2012, 02:58:27 AMBack in the day a lot of Germans I knew would confine themselves to just a couple of beers, admittedly on a more or less daily basis. Perhaps that culture has changed, Zanza will know.
My experience suggests that not drinking during the week and binge drinking on weekends is what 18 year olds do.

Apparently even the French youngsters are like that nowadays, Europe is becoming a monoculture  :(

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2012, 05:39:13 AM

Apparently even the French youngsters are like that nowadays, Europe is becoming a monoculture  :(

No different than in the States, then. Good to know. :)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2012, 05:39:13 AM

What's more worrying, is this phenomenon showing up in Southern Europe as well. It's not as all of France was wine country anyways.

merithyn

Jeremy's first interview with the Rotary Club is this evening. I guess I should say that OUR first interview, since the parents are part of the process from beginning to end.

I'm a nervous wreck, but Jeremy seems relatively calm. I wish I had that kid's nerve.  <_<

Richard Hakluyt

It's great to be 17, the world is at your feet  :cool:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2012, 11:44:37 AM
It's great to be 17, the world is at your feet  :cool:

That's not quite how I recall it.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers