Ban One Music Genre, Go On You Know You Want To.

Started by mongers, September 20, 2012, 07:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2012, 11:37:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2012, 07:43:35 PM
Oh okay. I've not heard Skrillex but love Burial. So yeah the UK scene is maybe different.

Heh, I didnt even read the thread before posting.  According to my sons Skrillex is THE thing - or at least was last year.  Be thankful you havent actually heard it.
Okay.  I listened to some Skrillex... 

This is a song (from a brilliant album, worth listening to as one) by Burial, mentioned by some of us.  To me this is like a more high concept version of what dubstep is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS38JBh5gcw&feature=related

As I say it was big in some clubs when I was in Bristol (it's far bigger now) but it's nothing like Skrillex.  They're more, as Queequeg says, influenced by trip hop and local heroes like Massive Attack.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

That shit makes me pine for the days of Emo. I want to punch a Brit now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Massive Attack is one of my favorite artists of the 90s. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

That's not too bad. I like music that gives me the shivers, hate music that gives me headaches.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2012, 08:19:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2012, 11:37:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2012, 07:43:35 PM
Oh okay. I've not heard Skrillex but love Burial. So yeah the UK scene is maybe different.

Heh, I didnt even read the thread before posting.  According to my sons Skrillex is THE thing - or at least was last year.  Be thankful you havent actually heard it.
Okay.  I listened to some Skrillex... 

This is a song (from a brilliant album, worth listening to as one) by Burial, mentioned by some of us.  To me this is like a more high concept version of what dubstep is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS38JBh5gcw&feature=related

As I say it was big in some clubs when I was in Bristol (it's far bigger now) but it's nothing like Skrillex.  They're more, as Queequeg says, influenced by trip hop and local heroes like Massive Attack.

That song sounds pretty much like Ambient music. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

In the best possible (ie Brian Eno-ish way) you're right :)
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Yeah which is why that track doesn't seem very much like dubstep to me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 09:11:33 PM
Yeah which is why that track doesn't seem very much like dubstep to me.
Well as Queequeg and I were saying I think it means something different in the UK and US (apparently some in the UK refer to the US style is called brostep :lol:).  The Burial album is very good though.  A lot of dubstep in clubs I went to was far simpler and bassier than that :)
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

If that's the case, then that leans to my thought that dubstep is really a useless term and really just describes various bits of electronica. :P

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011