Any foreign exchange students around here?

Started by merithyn, August 07, 2012, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2012, 02:20:32 AM
Yeah. Whether its the smart well behaved kids or the scum everyone drinks, its just normal behaviour. If there's a medical reason though I doubt he'd become an outcast for not drinking.

I've a diabetic friend who drinks regularly and he's alright as long as he sticks to one or two. Once he got wasted though and...well it was a close call.

I don't drink. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 27, 2012, 12:34:51 PM
Me either. I think we did it wrong.

My guess is the Trickster was getting his fair share of trim at 17.

Not a particularly good age for me.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 27, 2012, 12:28:15 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2012, 11:44:37 AM
It's great to be 17, the world is at your feet  :cool:

That's not quite how I recall it.  <_<

Can't agree with you. I moved away from all my family and started college at 17, so it did seem like the world was my oyster.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 03:50:32 PM
Can't agree with you. I moved away from all my family and started college at 17, so it did seem like the world was my oyster.

I got a rock.

Ed Anger

I mooched off my parents for as long as possible.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2012, 04:52:44 PM
I mooched off my parents for as long as possible.  :)

How do you think I got through Stanford without student loans? ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 03:28:55 PM

The Golden Age was some years later, but I'm thinking more of an attitude than the reality. If I was in Siena now with £5 in my pocket I would think "Shit! What am I going to do?". At 17 I would think "Cool, I'm in Siena. Ah.....enough for a couple of drinks, surely I can hit it off with a woman before the funds run out?"

It is that feeling of invulnerability, immortality and the world is your oyster........I miss it  :huh:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2012, 05:21:31 PM
The Golden Age was some years later, but I'm thinking more of an attitude than the reality. If I was in Siena now with £5 in my pocket I would think "Shit! What am I going to do?". At 17 I would think "Cool, I'm in Siena. Ah.....enough for a couple of drinks, surely I can hit it off with a woman before the funds run out?"

It is that feeling of invulnerability, immortality and the world is your oyster........I miss it  :huh:

:yes:

I can't believe all the stuff I got away with back then. Living off no money at all, passing oral and written exams without speaking the language, getting lots of female attention for just being the foreign exchange guy (it works unbelievably well). Good times  :cool:

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2012, 05:21:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 03:28:55 PM

I never had that. I was always too rational. :(
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

The interview went very well last night. It seems that all of the children that applied will likely go, so... as of September 2013, Jeremy will be flying off on a new adventure. We'll find out in February which country he'll be going to, and in May/June we'll find out which town.

Wow. We'll have gone from a household of six to a household of three in two short years. Not what I expected when the kids were little....  :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on September 28, 2012, 09:38:23 AM
The interview went very well last night. It seems that all of the children that applied will likely go, so... as of September 2013, Jeremy will be flying off on a new adventure. We'll find out in February which country he'll be going to, and in May/June we'll find out which town.

Good work.  :thumbsup:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"