Any foreign exchange students around here?

Started by merithyn, August 07, 2012, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 08, 2012, 06:29:48 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2012, 05:04:27 AM
I only learned such things existed last year.
How is this possible?
It wasn't advertised at all. Its all much more discreet and less cohesive than university exchanges.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 08, 2012, 07:42:17 AM
Did you never see That 70s Show?
except for a few episodes they don't mention that he's a foreign exchange student (unless you know what "FES" stands for, then they mention it in every episode :lol:)

Should have gone the American pie route :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on August 08, 2012, 07:45:06 AM
except for a few episodes they don't mention that he's a foreign exchange student (unless you know what "FES" stands for, then they mention it in every episode :lol:)

Another good example. I'm sure if I sat around and brainstormed(or googled) I could think of more. But it's not really worth it.

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 08, 2012, 07:48:15 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 08, 2012, 07:45:06 AM

Another good example. I'm sure if I sat around and brainstormed(or googled) I could think of more. But it's not really worth it.

Josquius

Sure, you see lots of them on TV, but then high school life on TV tends to feature lots of things that aren't possible for normal people (not that we have high school in the UK, but I'd assume it tends to be pretty mundane for most Americans). And these kids are always strange one offs, never mentioned as being part of some grand programme.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Ok, we get it. Another thing you didn't know about. Call off the dogs, everybody.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Hopefully one day he will realize that sometimes art imitates life.  :D

merithyn

Hmm. Costs have gone up, apparently, from what I initially found. A year abroad costs between $8,000 - $15,000, not including travel expenses, additional "side trips", and monthly spending money. (I'd initially found resources that said $5,000 - $8,000.) All of it must be paid by May 2013 in order for him to go on the trip.

Scholarships are available, but limited, and very few for the programs he's interested in. They have fund-raising opportunities, which seem to essentially be posting online where you want to go and why, and then begging friends and family to donate toward the trip.

Oy! This is going to be very difficult to make happen. Not impossible - yet - but definitely difficult.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

You might want to see if you can get in touch with your local Rotary club. When I was in high school there were pretty good at providing a lot of the funding for exchange students...and in fact many of the exchange students that came to my school came through the Rotary club.

Here's what I found on a quick look up:
http://www.rotary.org/en/StudentsAndYouth/YouthPrograms/RotaryYouthExchange/Pages/Howtoapply.aspx
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2012, 08:09:34 AM
Sure, you see lots of them on TV, but then high school life on TV tends to feature lots of things that aren't possible for normal people (not that we have high school in the UK, but I'd assume it tends to be pretty mundane for most Americans). And these kids are always strange one offs, never mentioned as being part of some grand programme.
Elaborate.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valdemar

Garbon, usually though that is because they exchange between rotary club memebers. So that you get kids whose parents are members sent over to other rotary members.. I'm not sure they are open to non members

V

merithyn

Quote from: Valdemar on August 08, 2012, 09:11:12 AM
Garbon, usually though that is because they exchange between rotary club memebers. So that you get kids whose parents are members sent over to other rotary members.. I'm not sure they are open to non members

V

According to the website garbon gave: "Applicants are not required to be involved with Rotary in
any way before applying."

Thanks, garbon. No Rotary groups in our area, but there are other options. They do seem to be much more highly competitive, but worth giving it a shot.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...