News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Any foreign exchange students around here?

Started by merithyn, August 07, 2012, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: frunk on August 07, 2012, 03:40:55 PM
I did a summer month in Germany in college to count as my German 3 credit.  It was run by my German prof, and it was a hell of a lot of fun even if I didn't learn that much more German.

Ditto. Hung out in Northern Germany in summer '92. We had one literature and one history class.

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2012, 04:21:05 PM
One problem is that the Europeans are getting so good at speaking English that he may have difficulty practicing his German unless it is already very good  :hmm:

Young, urban, educated and travelling Germans yes. In general the dubbing countries (spain, france, italy and germany) speak bad english. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

They were advertising for hosts for exchange students from Argentina here a while back, but when I inquired and said I'd only host female students--preferably 2 of them between 15 and 17--they never called me back.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 07, 2012, 05:20:07 PM
They were advertising for hosts for exchange students from Argentina here a while back, but when I inquired and said I'd only host female students--preferably 2 of them between 15 and 17--they never called me back.

At least you don't discriminate on the basis of race.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

I wonder if that would work in spiess's case. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on August 07, 2012, 06:08:22 PM
I wonder if that would work in spiess's case. :hmm:

Hmm Married to an Argy with kids
vs
single with cats
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

This is why we can't have nice things!  :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on August 07, 2012, 09:29:21 PM

This is why we can't have nice things!  :mad:

I only asked for 2, it's not like I was being selfish or anything.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2012, 03:56:41 PM
http://www.afs.org/

yes, very good reputation, operates around the world.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! :hug:

I've asked for a brochure, and sent the link to my son to check over. It would be awesome if he got to go. The poor kid has seriously gotten the raw end of things for a while between the diabetes, asthma, and just general crap he deals with. I'd love to be able to make something like this happen for him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: merithyn on August 07, 2012, 04:21:50 PM
He's had four years of German.

So did I when I went during college, and I didn't use German as much as I should have.

EDIT: To expand on this: I was primarily with other American students, we weren't in the same area as the other, German, students at the university, and all the classes (except German) were conducted in English. I highly recommend that he at least stay with a home-stay family, and try to find a program that mixes German and international/American students.

Also, he's going to drink beer, and probably a lot. Hopefully he'll know his limits. On the plus side, he'll become used to good German beers, and will be forever unable to drink swill like Miller Lite.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Camerus

I hope it works out.  I won some scholarships for German language and literature at my university, but I never got the opportunity to go to Germany as an exchange student, and I've always regretted that.  Also, my German is crap now.  Make of that what you will.   :P

Josquius

I only learned such things existed last year.
Which angers me. Would have been awesome.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive