News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Any foreign exchange students around here?

Started by merithyn, August 07, 2012, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

My son is interested in going to Germany for his senior year in order to learn German better. I've found a number of programs, but have no idea which ones are the better options. Has anyone been a foreign exchange student or known anyone who has that might be able to shed some light on this for me?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

I went with AFS to Japan in high school. Went to Yamamoto's old high school. I was also an exchange student in German at university doing my Masters Project.

Ask away. If you or he wants advice information or anything like that just PM me and I'll do my best to help.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2012, 03:25:54 PM
I'm guessing you mean as a high schooler?

Yes.

Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2012, 03:28:09 PM
I went with AFS to Japan in high school. Went to Yamamoto's old high school.

What's AFS?

frunk

I'm not familiar with any high school level exchange students to foreign countries, but I do know a couple who have come here.

I did a summer month in Germany in college to count as my German 3 credit.  It was run by my German prof, and it was a hell of a lot of fun even if I didn't learn that much more German.

Drakken

Sorry, Fez left the building years ago.  :(

Good day. I said good day!

Zanza

Quote from: merithyn on August 07, 2012, 03:28:40 PM
What's AFS?
American Field Service - they have a quite good reputation from what I know.

Some information on other programs:
http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/09__Language__Study__Exchange/03/02/__School.html

Viking

Quote from: Viking on August 07, 2012, 03:28:09 PM
I went with AFS to Japan in high school. Went to Yamamoto's old high school.

What's AFS?
[/quote]

http://www.afs.org/

yes, very good reputation, operates around the world.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

One problem is that the Europeans are getting so good at speaking English that he may have difficulty practicing his German unless it is already very good  :hmm:

merithyn

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2012, 04:21:05 PM
One problem is that the Europeans are getting so good at speaking English that he may have difficulty practicing his German unless it is already very good  :hmm:

That's true. I had 2 and I don't recall anyone even trying to speak to me in German...though he could just force the people he meets. :)