News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cheesesteak

Started by garbon, August 02, 2012, 02:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on August 02, 2012, 09:00:17 PM
Since i seem to be stuck in Reality rut, odds are slim atm.

If you ever work on that 'Sons of Guns' show, punch ALL of them in the nuts. Including the daughter.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 02, 2012, 09:02:42 PM

If you ever work on that 'Sons of Guns' show, punch ALL of them in the nuts. Including the daughter.

Trust me when it comes to reality tv "stars" the list of whom I don't want to punch is very, very short.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on August 02, 2012, 09:04:19 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 02, 2012, 09:02:42 PM

Trust me when it comes to reality tv "stars" the list of whom I don't want to punch is very, very short.

No shit.  When I watched Hardcore Pawn, I had flashbacks to bail bonds.  Fucking fruity ass family businesses.

Be sure to beat one with the boom mike if you ever meet one, Josh.

katmai

Heh, the producer who i just worked with on Coast Guard Alaska had just finished on that show.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on August 02, 2012, 09:23:32 PM
Heh, the producer who i just worked with on Coast Guard Alaska had just finished on that show.

If the father were shorter, added about 15 years, and got rid of the ponytail, he would be a spitting image of my old boss.   Jeans and leather jacket everywhere. 

Actually, my old boss was more like Uncle Lewis in Christmas Vacation, come to think of it.  Cigar and all.  :lol:

garbon

Gotta love $50/day valet. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 02, 2012, 03:27:18 PM
I liked Tony Luke's.

Didn't read any further in the thread, but I agree.  At Delaware and Oregon, lots of parking.  Also, Jim's Roast Pork (behind a chemical factory at Delaware and Snyder), but they have old-fashioned hours (like 5:00am to 3:00pm weekdays, no weekends).

I think American is actually best; in my experience, provolone tends to congeal too quickly. 

Sharp provolone with greens on a roast pork sandwich, however, is fantastic.  This is actually the Philadelphia sandwich that I would recommend.  Tony Luke's has good examples of these also.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

garbon

You recommended a chain - hurrah? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

There was a great cheesesteak place at 7th and Dickinson in South Philly...the name is escaping me right now.  Take the 47 bus down 8th St.

Katmai's rec is good for Center City... also I think they opened up a Shank's outpost near your hotel that was really good, though I may have only had the roast pork.  DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market also has good roast pork.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Ed Anger

garbon

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2012, 09:57:32 PM
A bus? Err..

That bus was my lifeline, dammit.  :mad:  I think I even made The Larch take it when he came to Philadelphia.  :D

It's Cosmi's Deli, 8th and Dickinson.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/cosmis-deli-philadelphia

A short cab ride from Center City.  Or a 10-15 minute walk through the heart of South Philly from the Tasker-Morris stop on the BSL.

Syt

Syt's attempt at something similar to cheesesteak.

Thinly sliced beef (not near as thin as recipes demand, but I couldn't be assed), onions, mushrooms - marinated in sweet honey bbq sauce and spices over night.
Sauteed the stuff on medium heat.
Freshly baked, wonderfully soft Italian ciabatta bread - sliced in the middle top and bottom clad in provolone cheese that melts because the bread is still hot.
Filled with meat/onion/mushroom gunk (little juice).

Verdict:
Taste: 3.5/5
Ease of preparation: 4.5/5.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Did you use ribeye?  I think that's the cheesesteak cut.

And I think you would be better off flash frying it on high rather than sauteeing it.