News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cheesesteak

Started by garbon, August 02, 2012, 02:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Sounds like your friend know what he/she is talking about. I say follow that advice.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

That Claymont cheesesteak resembles what you can get at the Capriotti's deli chain (I think also originating in Delaware IIRC). That's the best thing resembling it you can get out West IMO. Yeah, even though it's a chain.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 02, 2012, 02:28:18 PM
That Claymont cheesesteak resembles what you can get at the Capriotti's deli chain (I think also originating in Delaware IIRC). That's the best thing resembling it you can get out West IMO. Yeah, even though it's a chain.

Capriotti's is out west now?  they were just a small regional chain when I lived in DE. 

I really want a Bobbie now.  Thanks :angry:

edit: Also, in the 10 years since I've been there, it definitely looks like the Claymont place has remodeled.  It was definitely in need of that.  I went there as often as I could, but always got it to go.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 02:20:27 PM
Quote from: Zanza on August 02, 2012, 02:18:22 PM
Cheesesteak is one of those things I tried once and never had again. I think I was in one of the famous places on South Street in Philadelphia, but it's just a badly made sandwich.

Yeah I did a search on here and you basically made the same post. Didn't help me much on where to go. :D
:lol: At least I am consistent.

Scipio

The best cheesesteak I've ever had (and I've had a few of the Philly "classics") was at Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory on M Street in Washington DC.  The owner was from Philly, and he did not use that fucking cheez whiz nonsense.  He was the first guy in DC to get the Amoroso rolls fresh daily, and his default cheese was provolone.  That location has been closed for 2 years, I think, but they did a hopping business when I was in college.  His location was a total shithole, though, and the rent must have been sky high.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on August 02, 2012, 02:24:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 02:19:53 PM
american
Traitors

Might as well be cheez whiz.

I don't know - I've had some pretty tasty American when requested at a deli (compared to what Kraft puts out).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Wolf's Market, 1500 Locust street in Philly.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Best cheesesteaks in Baltimore isn't Captain Harvey's anymore--which is in a shopping center merely a couple hundred yards away from the British landing site in the War of 1812 that resulted in the Battle of North Point--but Hopkins' Carry-Out on E. Monument Street;  juicy, cheesy, overstuffed, the kind of sub you need to eat with a fork which leaves you bloated for the next 12 hours.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on August 02, 2012, 02:15:11 PM
This is just hearsay, but I'm under the impression that Philly is the wrong place to go for a cheesesteak.
Them's fighting words, son.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Ok garbo, never fear... your regional lowbrow culinary expert Cal has arrived in the thread. :)

First question: where in Philadelphia will you be?

Also, as has been previously stated, do NOT get cheez wiz on your steak.  This is WRONG, period.  The only acceptable options are provolone and American, and I prefer the former since American still isn't real cheese.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Haha. I'm going to be at the Westin on South 17th.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 02, 2012, 06:38:56 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 02, 2012, 02:15:11 PM
This is just hearsay, but I'm under the impression that Philly is the wrong place to go for a cheesesteak.
Them's fighting words, son.

Maybe he meant: heresy? :D

katmai

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 06:42:48 PM
Haha. I'm going to be at the Westin on South 17th.

Wolf's Market, 1500 locust.  :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son