News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was probably said jokingly.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2015, 11:08:31 AM
Does anyone in Russia realize how pathetic the quote about Putin's iron handshake sounds?

You know the place better than we do... /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Does anyone in Russia realize how pathetic the quote about Putin's iron handshake sounds?  They're moving into North Korean territory when it comes to glorifying their dear leader.

At least the Russians are still allowed to joke about it.

— Мне Путин руку пожал.
— О, круто! Наверное, теперь неделю не будешь мыть?
— Две. Пока гипс не снимут.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on March 12, 2015, 11:18:39 AM
Does anyone in Russia realize how pathetic the quote about Putin's iron handshake sounds?  They're moving into North Korean territory when it comes to glorifying their dear leader.

At least the Russians are still allowed to joke about it.

— Мне Путин руку пожал.
— О, круто! Наверное, теперь неделю не будешь мыть?
— Две. Пока гипс не снимут.
:lmfao: :lmfao:

Syt

I think Lolek and Bolek need their own thread.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Liep

Quote from: Queequeg on March 12, 2015, 11:42:01 AM
How does Liep know Russian?

I've studied Russian at uni since 2013.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2015, 12:07:43 PM
.. last night.
she said,
"Oh, baby, I feel so down.
Oh it turns me off,
When I feel left out."

?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on March 12, 2015, 11:42:01 AM
How does Liep know Russian?

Starting a dossier for your Persian buddies?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on March 12, 2015, 12:25:46 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2015, 12:07:43 PM
.. last night.
she said,
"Oh, baby, I feel so down.
Oh it turns me off,
When I feel left out."

?

See, grumbler, he don't understand.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Putin may not be the only one at 'it':

Yanukovych ally Peklushenko in new Ukraine mystery death

A former regional governor has been found dead in Ukraine, the latest in a series of deaths involving allies of deposed President Viktor Yanukovych.

Oleksandr Peklushenko, former head of Zaporizhzhya, had suffered a gunshot wound to the neck and authorities said initial inquiries pointed to suicide.

A member of Ukraine's Party of the Regions, he was being investigated over the dispersal of protesters last year.

Five other officials also died in mysterious circumstances this year.

All of them supposedly took their own lives in the past six weeks
Stanislav Melnyk, 53, an ex-MP was found shot dead in his bathroom on 9 March
Mykhaylo Chechetov, former party deputy chairman, died after apparently jumping from a window in his 17th-floor flat on 28 February; he had been accused of abuse of office and fraud
Serhiy Valter, a mayor in the south-eastern city of Melitopol, was found hanged on 25 February; he too had been accused of abuse of office
Oleksandr Bordyuh, a former police deputy chief in Melitopol linked to Mr Valter, was found dead at his home on 26 February
Oleksiy Kolesnyk, ex-head of Kharkiv's regional government was found hanged on 29 January

An interior ministry source told Interfax Ukraine news agency Mr Peklushenko, 60, had committed suicide in the village of Sonyachne, near Zaporizhzhya city.

However officials said other theories were being investigated including murder.

:hmm:

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31855700

I wouldn't be surprised if someone here suggests it's the work of the Russians to discredit the Ukrainians.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Wow, these Yanukovich allies are really desperate to make Poroshenko look bad.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2015, 08:58:45 PM
Wow, these Yanukovich allies are really desperate just dying to make Poroshenko look bad.
FYPFY
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

So, apparently Putin has not been seen in public for a week.

Although I heard someone saw him at a farmer's market near Warsaw. Perhaps it's time to send him to Kremlin, with Polish troops.  :ph34r: