News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Little question about reenactment stores

Started by Martim Silva, July 27, 2012, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

When I was doing Roman reenacting all of that shit was made by a company called Deepeeka based in India.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Caliga on July 28, 2012, 06:58:44 AM
When I was doing Roman reenacting all of that shit was made by a company called Deepeeka based in India.

Deepeeka does some rather good Roman-era repros, though not all of them without flaws. Still, it sure beats their compatriots at Windlass Steelcrafts, who produce mostly inaccurate things (their 'trooper helmet', for example... with soldered eyebrows meeingt in the middle, domed and stepless neckguard, no decend raised panels, welded hinges, narrow earguards and crest, built-in posts... everything improperly mounted on... hugh. And people bought that crap!)

That said, as a US reenactor, I salute you for doing the Roman period. From what I noticed, most Americans obsess about the Civil War era, with a few also doing WW2 (mostly paratroops from the 101st, namely the 506th).

Just HOW prevalent is the Civil War reenactment obsession in America?

It is quite the opposite of what happens here, where most reenactment is Medieval (we love the period), and then some Roman.  We also have a good amount of XVIIth/XVIIIth century/Napoleonic reenactment, supported by local towns. One of the best units is from the town of Almeida, and they do great period siege reenactments. Which I suppose should come as no surprise, given that their staging place looks like this:

Quote from: Ed Anger
I should look for White Nazi uniforms(female). That shit is hot.

You can get it here: http://www.ww2sale.com/ww2-german-m32-women-officer-white-wool-replica-uniforms-set-zt002.html

Alternatively,

http://www.ww2sale.com/ww2-women-wehrmacht-heer-army-senior-uniform-set-replica-whw980.html

CountDeMoney

Damn, it's posts like that that make me wish Dragon Lady was still around.

CountDeMoney

That site is fucking ass hilarious.  I soooo wish I had a Jewish girlfriend.

Ed Anger

239 bucks isn't bad for some hot role-play action.

I'll get me a NKVD uniform and play 'May 1945 interrogation'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 28, 2012, 04:00:59 PM
I'll get me a NKVD uniform and play 'May 1945 interrogation'.

If you had her dressed up like a Berlin bier frau, hells yeah.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Wow, that's a really well preserved fortress Martim.

Ed Anger

FRAU TRAUDL, WHERE ARE THE MEMOS?

BRB. I need some alone time.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Razgovory

MS, Civil war reenactment is the most popular (though it's becoming less common then it was in the 1990's I think), because it's really the only time there were mass armies marching though large parts of the US.  I know there is some Revolutionary War reenactors on the East Coast, but most states weren't part of the US when that war happened.  Our country is much newer then those of Europe and most of our military history occurred overseas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martim Silva

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 28, 2012, 12:58:52 PM
Damn, it's posts like that that make me wish Dragon Lady was still around.

Well, if you liked that, you'll LOVE this (and it's for real, too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4DZQhfrl5Y

If your heart can take it, then you *may* be ready to take on the whole shebang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cbMLeeV1ww

Quote from: Admiral Yi
Wow, that's a really well preserved fortress Martim.

Yes, Almeida was our main border star fort against foreign invasions. Worked well until the French invaded in 1807. We still thought it was good, so we never got to upgrade the city.

Quote from: mongers
Yeah and I like what appears to be a long barracks still preserved in the town.

Preserved? You mean the Army barracks? It's still in use, you know... for us, a 300-year-old building pretty much means "modern and functional".