News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Little question about reenactment stores

Started by Martim Silva, July 27, 2012, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

My father's birthday is coming up in August, and since he always admired the RAF, I'd get him a WW2 RAF officer cap.

To that end, I checked out several stores, and checked 'scotlandproductsonline.com', which had some stuff he might like.

I registered there, but did not shop yet because I wanted to know his head size.

In the meanwhile, I got an email from that store wondering why I hadn't bought anything yet. It is purportedly from someone called 'Joan Hoban', using a gmail account.

But it reads:

Dear Sir,

Hope you well.

My friend you have made account in my site, but you did not make an order. If you have problem create, so please tell us our this help line. I will must help you.

Waiting eyes.

Cheers,
Joan

Now, NO WAY a Scottish person would write THAT.

It does remind me, however, of some attempts at communication by the Chinese. Does anyone know if 'waiting eyes' is a mandarin (or cantonese) expression?

Can this be a store posing as an UK one?

derspiess

Definitely sounds like Engrish/Chinglish. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

That being said, just because it's from Pakistan doesn't eman it's a scam.  Even if you bought these kinds of items in Scotland they were likely made overseas in any event.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martim Silva on July 27, 2012, 11:06:08 AM

Dear Sir,

Hope you well.

My friend you have made account in my site, but you did not make an order. If you have problem create, so please tell us our this help line. I will must help you.

Waiting eyes.

Cheers,
Joan

Martim Silva

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2012, 11:16:05 AM
That being said, just because it's from Pakistan doesn't eman it's a scam.  Even if you bought these kinds of items in Scotland they were likely made overseas in any event.

Oh, I don't have illusions about the origin of the products. My usually beef is that buying directly from Pakistan/India/China means the product doesn't undergo any kind of quality assurance.

If you buy from western stores, they usually reject the worst articles they get from their Asian suppliers and will sell you decent stuff. Buying straight from China/India/Pakistan, while cheaper, often means you get all the products that failed the QA tests from the western stores.

(Also, the EU charges gigantic taxes on everything that comes from outside their borders; which is why I don't buy from US stores, even if their prices are often 30-50% lower than in European ones. Over here, paying $300 for just a military tunic is a good deal).

That said, I really doubt a Pakistani would write like that.

Oh, and speaking of chinese stores, CdM, here is your worst nightmare: COMMIE NAZI KITTEN-EATING CHINAMEN

Barrister

Quote from: Martim Silva on July 27, 2012, 12:25:00 PM
That said, I really doubt a Pakistani would write like that.

:huh:

Follow the link I gave you.  It's pretty conclusive the website was registered out of Pakistan, and no reason why a Chinese interest would masquerade as coming from Pakistan (I'd trust a Chinese website above a Pakistani one).

sbr

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martim Silva

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

Follow the link I gave you.  It's pretty conclusive the website was registered out of Pakistan, and no reason why a Chinese interest would masquerade as coming from Pakistan (I'd trust a Chinese website above a Pakistani one).

True.

Still, it's odd their English is that bad. Didn't England teach them better during the colonial days?

sbr

Quote from: Martim Silva on July 27, 2012, 02:15:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

True.

Still, it's odd their English is that bad. Didn't England teach them better during the colonial days?

I can't imagine many of them are still around. :huh:

Ed Anger

I should look for White Nazi uniforms(female). That shit is hot.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive