AC/DC: Iranian Nuclear Facility is Thunderstruck!

Started by jimmy olsen, July 25, 2012, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Whoever did this must have big balls!  :punk:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/iran-nuclear-energy-facility-hit-malware-plays-ac-203806981.html
QuoteIran nuclear energy facility hit with malware that plays AC/DC at full volume
By Mike Wehner, Tecca | Today in Tech – 17 hrs ago

Malware can be a major pain for anyone with a computer or mobile device, as it can lead to security risks like identity theft. But when a virus targets a nuclear facility, the stakes are much much higher. According to a report on security site F-Secure, Iran's nuclear energy group — called the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, or AEOI for short — is reaching out for help to rid its system of a malicious program that not only threatens the facility's daily operations, but also plays a 90s rock anthem on the infected computers.

An email to F-Secure — allegedly sent from an AEOI scientist — detailed the attack, noting that the malware has shut down some of the facility's automated processes. The rather vague wording of the email leaves a few unanswered questions as to just what parts of the AEOI are in danger, but one piece of information was very clear: The insidious software prompted several of the group's computers to begin playing the song "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC in the middle of the night, and at full volume.

This isn't the first time Iran has come under fire from cyber criminals, and it likely won't be the last. But the attackers' decision to play classic rock songs on infected computers is perhaps the most unorthodox way of alerting a nuclear facility that it has fallen victim to hackers.

This article was written by Mike Wehner and originally appeared on Tecca
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

dps

Normally, I'd suspect Isreal, but obviously this time it was Australia.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2012, 08:58:28 AM
Agree.  Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap is such an obvious choice.

No shit.

You suck, Timmay.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

:lol: Thunderstruck is what I use for my alarm tone on my 'droid. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on July 25, 2012, 07:48:29 PM
:lol: Thunderstruck is what I use for my alarm tone on my 'droid. :cool:

We used it as wake up music on a one-week school trip in '91.  :cool:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Should be TNT.  With JDAMs.

Caliga

My phone is on vibrate 99% of the time, but I think I might have Big Gun as my ringtone right now.  It's either that or the theme from Magnum PI.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

The only good ringtone is Pink Floyd's Wish You Were here properly cut so that it's only the guitar at the beginning for exactly 30 seconds (the part where it gets "loud").   Quiet, unintrusive, smooth.   Because of this, I almost never hear it ringing when it's in my pocket, so it also works as a call screener.  :D

E:  Otherwise, all sound and vibration should be off.  If it's important, they can leave a message or wait.  Fucking people.

Monoriu

Most appropriate ringtone is the opening sequence of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, set to play when your boss or wife calls you.

Siege

I got one of those that say: "Pick up the phone! Pick up the phone!!! Pick up the phone mothefucker!!!!111"

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tamas

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 26, 2012, 05:48:28 AM
The only good ringtone is Pink Floyd's Wish You Were here properly cut so that it's only the guitar at the beginning for exactly 30 seconds (the part where it gets "loud").   Quiet, unintrusive, smooth.   Because of this, I almost never hear it ringing when it's in my pocket, so it also works as a call screener.  :D

E:  Otherwise, all sound and vibration should be off.  If it's important, they can leave a message or wait.  Fucking people.

Not sure about your countries, but around me, most people make sure their mobiles are super-loud when ringing. Like they need it. WTF. And then of course they forget them on their desk in the office :bleeding: