Mittenspalooza World Tour 2012: The MegaMormonThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, July 25, 2012, 11:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 11:42:11 AM
Besides, if Mittens wins, it won't be through any miracle of his own;  it'll be thanks to the state level GOPtards in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Florida and the other states who've done all the advanced leg work in developing voter registration laws designed specifically to restrict and draw down the voting population. 

That's it-- start crafting an excuse now.  You may need it.

FWIW, my gut tells me that if the election were held today Mitt would win the popular vote and Obama would win the electoral vote by a thin margin.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2012, 12:02:43 PM
That's it-- start crafting an excuse now.  You may need it.

:lol:  The most concerted effort to suppress the vote since the pre-civil rights era is an excuse.  OK, Mr. Wallace.

QuoteFWIW, my gut tells me that if the election were held today Mitt would win the popular vote and Obama would win the electoral vote by a thin margin.

Then Mittens can chill with Al Gore and share sob stories.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 27, 2012, 12:08:26 PM
:lol:  The most concerted effort to suppress the vote since the pre-civil rights era is an excuse.  OK, Mr. Wallace.

Suppressing votes from convicted felons, illegal aliens, Donald Duck, and people who already voted?  Yeah, crime of the century.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2012, 12:13:04 PM
Suppressing votes from convicted felons, illegal aliens, Donald Duck, and people who already voted?  Yeah, crime of the century.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Strom.

Neil

The economy is only going to get worse in the next 3 months, so Obama better be campaigning hard.  Of course, if Romney wins, it's going to get even worse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Meanwhile . . .

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-losing-a-majority-who-think-hes-a-christian-20120726,0,6779472.story

QuotePresident Obama is struggling to get to 50% — not just of voters in November -- but of Americans, at any time, who will recognize that he is a Christian.

The Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion and Public Life released a survey Thursday showing that just 49% of Americans described the president as a Christian, while 17% said they believed he was Muslim. Just before the 2008 election, a majority, 55%, described then-candidate Obama's faith as Christian, while just 12% said he was Muslim.

The lingering questions about Obama's faith likely come from people of two mind-sets. One is those who have an intense dislike of the president and find confirmation of all their fears in a fever swamp of conspiracy websites. Where a birth certificate is not accepted as proof of someone's place of birth, forget about verifying something as intangible as a statement of faith.

The second factor driving up Obama's "Muslim number" is doubtless the urge of some respondents to stick it in the pollsters' ear -- to commit a small act of defiance by giving an answer the voter knows is untrue. When the interloper in the Oval Office is deeply loathed, why credit him with anything, least that he is a Christian? Willful ignorance becomes a political act.

The result: While Pew found in October 2008 that 16% of Republicans (and the same percentage of conservative Republicans) called Obama a Muslim, the most recent survey found 30% of Republicans and 34% of conservative Republicans said it was so. Anyone I say is Muslim, is Muslim, got it, pointy-headed (and probably liberal) pollster? Having conjured something like Mullah Barack, is it any wonder that 65% of this group is then "uncomfortable" with Obama as a Muslim?

Republican challenger Mitt Romney has much less of a religion identity problem with voters. Fully 60% of those surveyed understood that the former Massachusetts governor was a Mormon and most of the rest, 32%, didn't know his faith. Of those who knew he was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a large majority either was comfortable (60%) with that notion or didn't know, or care, about it (21%.)

The long-discussed issue among some political analysts -- that evangelical Christians would not back Romney -- appears  mostly unrealized, according to the Pew survey. Doubts among evangelicals do not lead to a major decline of support , but they do create an enthusiasm gap. The Pew pollsters concluded:  "Among Republican and Republican-leaning voters who say they are comfortable with Romney being Mormon, 44% back him strongly. Among those who are uncomfortable with it, just 21% say they back him strongly."

Neither Obama nor Romney has made religion a major component of a campaign yoked relentlessly to jobs and the economy. It's unclear, in any event, that a lot of religious talk would change the views of each man's most ardent detractors. Romney's Mormon faith will never be Christian enough for the few. Obama could be baptized in front of his most extreme naysayers and they would just find the holy water impure.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2012, 01:32:05 PM
Meanwhile . . .

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-losing-a-majority-who-think-hes-a-christian-20120726,0,6779472.story

QuotePresident Obama is struggling to get to 50% — not just of voters in November -- but of Americans, at any time, who will recognize that he is a Christian.

The Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion and Public Life released a survey Thursday showing that just 49% of Americans described the president as a Christian, while 17% said they believed he was Muslim. Just before the 2008 election, a majority, 55%, described then-candidate Obama's faith as Christian, while just 12% said he was Muslim.

The lingering questions about Obama's faith likely come from people of two mind-sets. One is those who have an intense dislike of the president and find confirmation of all their fears in a fever swamp of conspiracy websites. Where a birth certificate is not accepted as proof of someone's place of birth, forget about verifying something as intangible as a statement of faith.

The second factor driving up Obama's "Muslim number" is doubtless the urge of some respondents to stick it in the pollsters' ear -- to commit a small act of defiance by giving an answer the voter knows is untrue. When the interloper in the Oval Office is deeply loathed, why credit him with anything, least that he is a Christian? Willful ignorance becomes a political act.

The result: While Pew found in October 2008 that 16% of Republicans (and the same percentage of conservative Republicans) called Obama a Muslim, the most recent survey found 30% of Republicans and 34% of conservative Republicans said it was so. Anyone I say is Muslim, is Muslim, got it, pointy-headed (and probably liberal) pollster? Having conjured something like Mullah Barack, is it any wonder that 65% of this group is then "uncomfortable" with Obama as a Muslim?

Republican challenger Mitt Romney has much less of a religion identity problem with voters. Fully 60% of those surveyed understood that the former Massachusetts governor was a Mormon and most of the rest, 32%, didn't know his faith. Of those who knew he was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a large majority either was comfortable (60%) with that notion or didn't know, or care, about it (21%.)

The long-discussed issue among some political analysts -- that evangelical Christians would not back Romney -- appears  mostly unrealized, according to the Pew survey. Doubts among evangelicals do not lead to a major decline of support , but they do create an enthusiasm gap. The Pew pollsters concluded:  "Among Republican and Republican-leaning voters who say they are comfortable with Romney being Mormon, 44% back him strongly. Among those who are uncomfortable with it, just 21% say they back him strongly."

Neither Obama nor Romney has made religion a major component of a campaign yoked relentlessly to jobs and the economy. It's unclear, in any event, that a lot of religious talk would change the views of each man's most ardent detractors. Romney's Mormon faith will never be Christian enough for the few. Obama could be baptized in front of his most extreme naysayers and they would just find the holy water impure.

Well, I do remember there was a crescent moon the night he was elected.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2012, 01:43:05 PM

I remember being pissed that I ended up with Obama and no gay marriage in California. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 01:45:02 PM

I remember being pissed that I ended up with Obama and no gay marriage in California. :angry:

Give it a minute.  The Prop 8 case is still working its way up the chain.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2012, 12:02:43 PM
FWIW, my gut tells me that if the election were held today Mitt would win the popular vote

Depends.
Can dead but newly-baptized Jews vote?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on July 27, 2012, 01:58:55 PM

It's been nearly 4 years. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 02:17:07 PM

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on July 27, 2012, 02:23:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2012, 02:17:07 PM

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.

Meanwhile California falls behind several other states. :angry:

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon