News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The slow, painful death of UK armed forces

Started by CountDeMoney, July 13, 2012, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

ve done it before, although that was to colonize in your own right.
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 02:04:24 PM
Link, plz.
Mexican-American war
Spanish-American war
Indian wars.
And I suppose one could make an argument for Vietnam war being a continuation of the French Indochina colonial war, though that's a muddy issue.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2012, 11:36:41 PM
Link, plz.
Mexican-American war
Spanish-American war

Stop supporting slavery and/or exploitation.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2012, 09:58:32 PMI applaud the plucky Brits for kicking in when they can, but you know damned well the SDSR and the 2020 model is right royal poo-poo.
I agree entirely, but that's not got much to do with the British contribution to Libya.

QuoteThe answer is easy.  The UK just won't get involved.
Yes we will.  I can't imagine likely circumstances where the US would get involved in a conflict that we wouldn't try to join in.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2012, 12:01:17 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2012, 11:36:41 PM
Link, plz.
Mexican-American war
Spanish-American war

Stop supporting slavery and/or exploitation.

:lol:

I love this subject, you Americans get so defensive on what is crystal clear: the wars with Mexico, and later Spain were blatant imperialist conquests.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2012, 04:35:38 AM

I love this subject, you Americans get so defensive on what is crystal clear: the wars with Mexico, and later Spain were blatant imperialist conquests.

The population of the territories conquered in the Mexican-American War were granted full citizenship.  If you're going to call that an imperial conquest (or colonization, as it was earlier) then the terms lose most of their meaning.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2012, 04:50:44 AM
The population of the territories conquered in the Mexican-American War were granted full citizenship.  If you're going to call that an imperial conquest (or colonization, as it was earlier) then the terms lose most of their meaning.
How so?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2012, 05:06:30 AM
How so?

Colonization and imperialism both have strong connotations of subject peoples with inferior rights.  An Algerian couldn't run for president of France, an Indian couldn't run for Prime Minister of Great Britain, a Lesbian couldn't vote in the Athenian Senate.

It's obviously a little different if the colonizing power is an absolute monarchy, because then all subjects are, uh, subjects, whether they live in the metropole or not.

The nearest analogy I can think of in Europe is the German annexation of Alsace-Lorraine.  One day they were French citizens, the next they were German citizens.  Would you describe that as colonization?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2012, 05:16:39 AMColonization and imperialism both have strong connotations of subject peoples with inferior rights.  An Algerian couldn't run for president of France, an Indian couldn't run for Prime Minister of Great Britain, a Lesbian couldn't vote in the Athenian Senate.
The Athenians didn't have a Senate.  Indians could run for PM, as in they could become MPs.  There's lots of obstacles to any of that happening but they were for the most part social and territorial.  I take your point on the social equality, to an extent.  But did these areas automatically become American states or did they become American territories (that were somewhat settled) and later become states?

QuoteThe nearest analogy I can think of in Europe is the German annexation of Alsace-Lorraine.  One day they were French citizens, the next they were German citizens.  Would you describe that as colonization?
No.  But it would also be my prime example of an imperial conquest.  Like the Mexican-American war, the Spanish-American war was colonial.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

You mean there were no legal obstacles to Gandhi running for British PM?  That doesn't sound right.

I think Texas entered as a state, but that's an odd case.  California might have gotten statehood right away, not sure.  Maybe fast-tracked.

edit: And regardless of whether or not Gandhi could run for office, he certainly couldn't vote for himself.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2012, 05:40:38 AM
You mean there were no legal obstacles to Gandhi running for British PM?  That doesn't sound right.
No, if he was an MP which he could become.  We never had a colour bar and one of the problems the post-war Labour government had was immigration from the British Empire.  They couldn't refuse Caribbean immigrants moving to the UK because they were British Empire subjects.  The only solution they could think of was of creating effectively a second passport of limited travel for non-whites, but they didn't do it because that would have made their prejudice quite explicit and revealed the lie of the British Empire.

The first Asian MP (who could have become PM) was in the 1890s, Jinnah was one of his assistants and he was later President of the Indian National Congress.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2012, 05:40:38 AM
edit: And regardless of whether or not Gandhi could run for office, he certainly couldn't vote for himself.
Why not?
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2012, 04:35:38 AM

I can't defend much of the Mexican War, other than it was right in its righteousness, and the Spanish-American War was a response to international terrorism.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2012, 03:26:01 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2012, 09:58:32 PMI applaud the plucky Brits for kicking in when they can, but you know damned well the SDSR and the 2020 model is right royal poo-poo.
I agree entirely, but that's not got much to do with the British contribution to Libya.

Except that it stretched capacities, particularly with the Royal Navy.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2012, 05:51:01 AM
Why not?

I assume it's because he lived in the wrong place.  Anyway Shelf, it's interesting to learn that colonial England had no legal color bars.

Would you happen to know if the same was true of France?  Could an Algerian or Vietnamese vote if they were living in France?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2012, 05:59:32 AMI assume it's because he lived in the wrong place.  Anyway Shelf, it's interesting to learn that colonial England had no legal color bars.
As I say the obstacles were territorial and social.  It's a very British approach to racism to make it implicit and lace it through the entire system.  The other thing, especially with India was the use of other princes.  Lots of British colonial subjects were actually subject to a local ruler so they wouldn't be legally British subjects.

QuoteWould you happen to know if the same was true of France?  Could an Algerian or Vietnamese vote if they were living in France?
My understanding is that an Algerian could even vote in Algeria if he opted to accept French citizenship but that meant rejecting all customary and Islamic law - even on things like family law - so almost no-one did.  I'd assume they could given the rhetoric of the French Empire.
Let's bomb Russia!