And we're back!

Main Menu

The slow, painful death of UK armed forces

Started by CountDeMoney, July 13, 2012, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 14, 2012, 08:05:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2012, 03:26:33 AM
Okay fine.  Then don't bitch about anyone else's foreign policy.  You get rid of the military, you abdicate any responsibility and say in international affairs.  Don't complain when another country throws around its weight in ways you think are unfair, or there is a war, or an injustice, or a genocide.  You've washed your hands of the whole business.  You want to secede from the world, fine.  Just don't hold little protests, or bitch about war and injustice.  Don't bother the rest of the world with your impotent whining.
err....the entire point of the military changes is to make Britain better at intervening when crap goes down in third world countries. Its only our ability to fight world war 2 all over again which is being removed as ww3 isn't going to happen.

Yes, Britain demonstrated that in Libya.  Was barely able to participate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2012, 12:04:21 AM
1: That was with the old outdated military that these cuts are working towards fixing.
2: Britain was one of the biggest contributers....
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 15, 2012, 12:41:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2012, 12:04:21 AM
1: That was with the old outdated military that these cuts are working towards fixing.
2: Britain was one of the biggest contributers....

It had to bum off supplies from the US...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Yeah, but that's the British strategy.  It's not the 19th century anymore.  Britain isn't a leader and won't ever go it alone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

At least the UK regiments aren't very old. Swedish regiments OTOH...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Did Britain run out of bombs in Libya too?  I never saw a report which specified the countries that did.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2012, 02:16:42 PM
Did Britain run out of bombs in Libya too?  I never saw a report which specified the countries that did.

Considering the RAF's contribution were only 8 aircraft, then 4 more after the US withdrew their strike aircraft, I'm pretty sure there were enough bombs to go around.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2012, 04:41:28 PM
Considering the RAF's contribution were only 8 aircraft, then 4 more after the US withdrew their strike aircraft, I'm pretty sure there were enough bombs to go around.

That's a comparable contribution to other members of Teh Coalition of Countries Other Than Germany, yet presumably *someone* ran out of bombs.

Sheilbh

12 planes, but 1300 sorties (second to the US with 153 planes and 2000 sorties).

QuoteThat's a comparable contribution to other members of Teh Coalition of Countries Other Than Germany, yet presumably *someone* ran out of bombs.
Denmark, I think.  British and French aircraft don't, from what I understand, work with American munitions. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2012, 05:16:48 PM
Denmark, I think.  British and French aircraft don't, from what I understand, work with American munitions.
I find that difficult to believe, given that the whole point of NATO was for the European allies to use American munitions, because they were economically weak and were going to have their ability to produce weapons destroyed by the Soviets anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2012, 05:16:48 PM
12 planes, but 1300 sorties (second to the US with 153 planes and 2000 sorties).

Just imagine if they offered twice, or three times, as many strike aircraft.   Just imagine if they had a real strike carrier, and a real fleet air arm, instead of the Ocean.  Oh, wait they did.  It was called the Ark Royal.

And the principal reason they out-sortied the French with strikes is that the French were running substantial CAP, as they brought fighters to the party.

I applaud the plucky Brits for kicking in when they can, but you know damned well the SDSR and the 2020 model is right royal poo-poo.

At least Libya was within range of allied bases. The question the UK needs to answer is, what happens when the next hot spot isn't?

Razgovory

The answer is easy.  The UK just won't get involved.

Ideologue

The world is within range of Trident.  And what more do you really need?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 01:54:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 01:38:23 PM
The US would have to intervene.  You owe them for Iraq.

We don't fight colonial wars.

They'd call upon the Commonwealth anyway;  hell, I think the Canuckistani Navy is larger than the RN now.
no aircraft carrier and no submarine able to dive.  Well, actually, they can do the diving.  It's the 'coming back to the surface' thing they have problem with.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.