News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey Swedes

Started by Valmy, April 19, 2011, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Btw, as you may or may not have noticed "Karl-Alfred" is the Swedish name for Popeye.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Btw, can also be Carl Alfred Wallin.

US Patent 131,237 was interesting but I suppose it's not him...

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on July 17, 2012, 02:15:06 PM
I don't remember what the exact question is and I'm not rereading the thread, but FWIW:

Since he had a family name patronymics probably wouldn't be used a lot/at all. At least that's my impression from my own family history. On one parent's side there was no family name until modern times so patronymics were used, on the other parent's side there was a family name and patronymics weren't used AFAIK.

The question is simply about this Swede my wife is descended from.  Just trying to find his parents right now.

OK good to know.  Karl/Carl Alfred Wallin it is.  Unfortunately that sounds like a pretty common name.

QuoteBtw, as you may or may not have noticed "Karl-Alfred" is the Swedish name for Popeye.

Sweet!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I'll bite.  Why do Swedes call Popeye "Karl Alfred?"

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2012, 02:03:20 PM
Karl Alfredsson from Wallin, Sweden?

Oh if only I were so lucky.  But there is no town called Wallin in Sweden that I know of.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2012, 03:22:06 PM

I don't know if it is known. Apparently (according to the internet) the first few years he was called Fiffiga Filip (Clever Filip) but then it was changed to Karl-Alfred. The long dead publishers of long defunct magazine Tidsfördrif would be the ones to ask.

The Brain

Btw random googling only gave me K/Carl Alfred Wallins born in 1830, 1860 (or was it 50?) and 1880 (and later). I don't know when the patent guy was born but the patent is from 1872.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on July 17, 2012, 03:52:07 PM
Btw random googling only gave me K/Carl Alfred Wallins born in 1830, 1860 (or was it 50?) and 1880 (and later). I don't know when the patent guy was born but the patent is from 1872.

Surely there was at least one K/Carl Alfred Wallin born in Sweden in November of 1840.  In fact it would be very helpful if there was exactly one. :P

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on July 17, 2012, 03:45:12 PM

I don't know if it is known. Apparently (according to the internet) the first few years he was called Fiffiga Filip (Clever Filip) but then it was changed to Karl-Alfred. The long dead publishers of long defunct magazine Tidsfördrif would be the ones to ask.

Do you also call Donald Duck Kalle Anka, like the Danes do?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2012, 10:44:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 17, 2012, 03:45:12 PM

Do you also call Donald Duck Kalle Anka, like the Danes do?

We call him Kalle Anka (Charley Duck), the Danes know him as Anders And (Anders Duck).