Previous topic - Next topic

Extend the Bush Tax Cuts or Not?

Let them all lapse--deficit hawk.
23 (43.4%)
Raise them only on the rich--class warrior
17 (32.1%)
Extend them all--Keynesian.
8 (15.1%)
Free nacho sombreros for everyone--Jaronite.
5 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Extend them. Daddy needs more stuff to buy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

The feral rich could hack it.

Neil

The tax cuts should go, but I suppose it's not especially important.  Whether taxes are raised or lowered, the underlying problem is still going to be there.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I'm going with let them lapse.  I'm a bit surprised at Yi with this one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

It is interesting that the deficit hawks are the ones who are the most strident that the tax cuts be extended.  Then again, most deficit hawks seem to be in thrall to voodoo economics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

What are you surprised by Raz?

Which deficit hawks are you referring to Neil?

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 04:20:25 PM
Which deficit hawks are you referring to Neil?
Eric Cantor.  Tom McClintock.  Most Republican legislators.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2012, 04:43:55 PM

I don't know where you got the notion that these guys are deficit hawks.  They showed their true colors when Obama offered his debt reduction compromise.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 04:47:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2012, 04:43:55 PM

I don't know where you got the notion that these guys are deficit hawks.  They showed their true colors when Obama offered his debt reduction compromise.
They certainly tried to wear deficit hawk clothing.  Are there any politicians who you would consider to be deficit hawks?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2012, 04:55:52 PM
They certainly tried to wear deficit hawk clothing.  Are there any politicians who you would consider to be deficit hawks?

Rand Paul has vowed to never vote for a budget that is not balanced.  :D  His pop seems pretty sincere about the deficit as well.

Mitch Daniels seems hawkish.  David Stockman is not a politico but has lambasted the Republican party for its addiction to tax reduction Keynsianism.  You can't get much more hawkish than that.

Short answer, not many.

Admiral Yi

Let's add Paul Ryan to the list.  And Simpson and Bowles while we're at it.

Neil

If they're in favour of the Bush tax cuts, they are not deficit hawks.

Ideologue

Guess I'm a deficit hawk. Who knew?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)