Previous topic - Next topic

Extend the Bush Tax Cuts or Not?

Let them all lapse--deficit hawk.
23 (43.4%)
Raise them only on the rich--class warrior
17 (32.1%)
Extend them all--Keynesian.
8 (15.1%)
Free nacho sombreros for everyone--Jaronite.
5 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on July 07, 2012, 07:38:09 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 04:59:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2012, 04:55:52 PM
They certainly tried to wear deficit hawk clothing.  Are there any politicians who you would consider to be deficit hawks?

Rand Paul has vowed to never vote for a budget that is not balanced.  :D  His pop seems pretty sincere about the deficit as well.

Mitch Daniels seems hawkish.  David Stockman is not a politico but has lambasted the Republican party for its addiction to tax reduction Keynsianism.  You can't get much more hawkish than that.

Short answer, not many.
Don't forget Justin Amash.

Is he for removing the Bush Tax cuts?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I wonder how many of the people who voted to extend the tax cuts are actually Keynesians and how many are just crazytown bananapants libertarians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2012, 02:17:43 AM
No, by hard on you kept posting shit about it.

By that definition you and Seedy both have a hard on for it as well.  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2012, 12:25:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2012, 02:17:43 AM
No, by hard on you kept posting shit about it.

By that definition you and Seedy both have a hard on for it as well.  :lol:

We were responding to you!  Still what were those Democratic talking points you were valiantly fighting?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2012, 12:59:50 PM
We were responding to you!  Still what were those Democratic talking points you were valiantly fighting?

And I was responding to a claim that the GOP hadn't put forth a plan to reduce the deficit.  Usually from you, Seedy, or Guller IIRC.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2012, 01:53:56 PM

And I was responding to a claim that the GOP hadn't put forth a plan to reduce the deficit.  Usually from you, Seedy, or Guller IIRC.

Not me, Chops;  I know what the GOP did to put forth a plan to reduce the deficit:  The Ryan Budget.  Duh.
And Mittens took the easy way out by endorsing it, so he didn't have to offer anything in the way of a campaign plan.  Shame he can't get Ryan to do other campaign issues for him.

KRonn

I voted to let the tax cuts lapse. Though I'd like to see a caveat in there for the Pres and Congress to make some budget cuts or reforms to go along with that. At some point both parties are going to have to make some reforms and changes anyway, they all know it.

Ideologue

Wrong.

Wait, is outlawing the GOP a reform?  Ok nm.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2012, 06:48:18 PM
Wrong.

Wait, is outlawing the GOP a reform?  Ok nm.
How would getting all those Democrats killed help anything?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2012, 01:53:56 PM

You forgot JR who said that the Ryan plan was "New Math".  Archives don't go back much further, but it wasn't a a serious plan.  Most of the cuts were back dated to about 7-8 years ago.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2012, 12:12:30 AM
You forgot JR who said that the Ryan plan was "New Math".  Archives don't go back much further, but it wasn't a a serious plan.  Most of the cuts were back dated to about 7-8 years ago.

And this is why you thought I was "on the spending side of the issue?"

Now it all makes sense.

Razgovory

I thought you were on the spending side of the issue, because most of the bitching was about spending.  Very little was said by "Deficit hawks" about increasing revenue.  The description of people in you poll as "deficit hawks" and those you name as deficit hawks is inconsistent.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2012, 03:58:48 AM
I thought you were on the spending side of the issue, because most of the bitching was about spending.  Very little was said by "Deficit hawks" about increasing revenue.  The description of people in you poll as "deficit hawks" and those you name as deficit hawks don't correlate well.

"Because most of the bitching was about spending?"  That's a delightfully ambiguous phrase.  Bitching by whom?

Perhaps you were confused by the tag deficit hawk in I poll Raz.  A deficit hawk is someone who cares strongly about reducing the deficit.  There are two ways to do that: reduce spending and increase revenue. 

Razgovory

Yeah, that is a bit confusing as only one option is labeled deficit hawk yet all could could conceivably be deficit hawks.  Do you see how that could be confusing?

Spending has been the focus of the Republican efforts to reduce the deficit.  Haven't seen much in the way of talk of increasing taxes from that camp.  IN fact most of the GOP Congressmen and Senators swore not to increase taxes.  Most of our more conservative posters focused on that.  I remember Berkut ranting about "SPENDSPENDSPENDSPEND", and either DPS or Derspeiss (I get them confused sometimes), pointing out that you could balance the budget with just spending cuts.  I don't recall what you were doing exactly besides touting the Ryan plan (and apparently valiantly fighting the Democrat talking points that I didn't know about).

Admiral Yi

No, I don't see how extending the tax cuts could concievably be hawkish.

Well, if you don't remember, you don't remember.  And now that I've refreshed your memory by telling you I've been arguing for letting the tax cuts lapse since 2010, you can choose to believe me or not.