Previous topic - Next topic

Extend the Bush Tax Cuts or Not?

Let them all lapse--deficit hawk.
23 (43.4%)
Raise them only on the rich--class warrior
17 (32.1%)
Extend them all--Keynesian.
8 (15.1%)
Free nacho sombreros for everyone--Jaronite.
5 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

dps

I favor a complete overhaul of our income tax system, so none of the options really fit for me.

Then again, my views on the tax system have no more chance to be put in place than my views on health care funding.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 04:47:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2012, 04:43:55 PM
Eric Cantor.  Tom McClintock.  Most Republican legislators.

I don't know where you got the notion that these guys are deficit hawks.  They showed their true colors when Obama offered his debt reduction compromise.

What surprised me Yi, is that you are normally on the spending side of the issue.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 05:04:12 PM
Let's add Paul Ryan to the list.  And Simpson and Bowles while we're at it.

Are anyone of those people for removing the Bush Tax cuts?  If not, then they don't count as deficit hawks by your own poll?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2012, 05:51:26 PM
What surprised me Yi, is that you are normally on the spending side of the issue.

No clue what you're talking about.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 06:03:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2012, 05:51:26 PM

No clue what you're talking about.

Think he means that you favor balancing the budget via spending cuts, or at least that that was his perception of your position.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on July 07, 2012, 06:12:02 PM
Think he means that you favor balancing the budget via spending cuts, or at least that that was his perception of your position.

That's a reasonable interpretation, but it doesn't put Raz in a very good light.  I've been hammering on raising taxes since day one.

mongers

Is this another upcoming congressional crisis, that in my ignorance I haven't been reading about ? 

Or is it a more generalised, should the US do a Thelma and Louise type ending ?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 06:16:08 PM
Quote from: dps on July 07, 2012, 06:12:02 PM

That's a reasonable interpretation, but it doesn't put Raz in a very good light.  I've been hammering on raising taxes since day one.

You had a hard on for the Ryan Plan for a long time, that had quite a few new tax cuts and didn't remove the Bush Tax cuts.

CountDeMoney

Ryan's budget concept on relying solely on spending reduction with no additional revenue streams is its biggest fault line.  Punching Medicare in the face is at least a method of addressing it, even if it's not the most appealing, but damn, that fucker is dead set against increasing or creating any form of revenue generation, and that's simply not going to get it done.

Debt ratio is overrated anyway.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2012, 06:44:28 PM
You had a hard on for the Ryan Plan for a long time, that had quite a few new tax cuts and didn't remove the Bush Tax cuts.

If by have a hard on for you mean I called the lame-ass Democratic talking points about the Ryan plan lame-ass, then yes, I had a hard on and still do.  That doesn't mean I thought I think spending cuts only are the optimal path to fiscal sustainability.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 06:51:11 PM
Ryan's budget concept on relying solely on spending reduction with no additional revenue streams is its biggest fault line.  Punching Medicare in the face is at least a method of addressing it, even if it's not the most appealing, but damn, that fucker is dead set against increasing or creating any form of revenue generation, and that's simply not going to get it done.
And that's why most Republican deficit hawks aren't, and are usually libertarian wierdos.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 04:59:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2012, 04:55:52 PM
They certainly tried to wear deficit hawk clothing.  Are there any politicians who you would consider to be deficit hawks?

Rand Paul has vowed to never vote for a budget that is not balanced.  :D  His pop seems pretty sincere about the deficit as well.

Mitch Daniels seems hawkish.  David Stockman is not a politico but has lambasted the Republican party for its addiction to tax reduction Keynsianism.  You can't get much more hawkish than that.

Short answer, not many.
Don't forget Justin Amash.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Tonitrus

I voted for letting them expire, though only in hopeless optimism.

If I actually believed the money would be wisely allocated, and serious efforts made to reduce deficit spending and debt reduction, that optimism would be less hopeless.

But...it's pretty much hopeless.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 07, 2012, 06:36:29 PM
Is this another upcoming congressional crisis, that in my ignorance I haven't been reading about ? 

Depends who you ask.  Some pundits are wailing about the effect the triple whammy of expiring Bush tax cuts, expiring Obama payroll tax cut, and sequester from the debt limit compromise will have on the economy starting January 1st.  In particular that bald dude on CNN (Allie Something) was wailing and ranting as if the front office had directed him to fill the void left by Lou Dobbs.

I must say I'm very pleased with the poll results.  Good on ya Languish. :cheers:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2012, 06:51:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2012, 06:44:28 PM

If by have a hard on for you mean I called the lame-ass Democratic talking points about the Ryan plan lame-ass, then yes, I had a hard on and still do.  That doesn't mean I thought I think spending cuts only are the optimal path to fiscal sustainability.

No, by hard on you kept posting shit about it.