The Thurston Mittens the 3rd Veep Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2012, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2012, 04:55:48 PM
I mean, all's fair in love, war and politics, so if Obama can get some mileage out of this then good for them, but I think it's fairly standard when you're an in-demand interview like a Presidential nominee to put limits on what you're being asked.

How many times was Obama (directly, not staffers) asked about being a muslim or his birth certificate?

I was under the impression that abortion was a major mainstream issue in American politics.  Not so much about crypto-muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2012, 04:55:48 PM
How many times was Obama (directly, not staffers) asked about being a muslim or his birth certificate?

QuoteRomney: 'No one has ever asked to see my birth certificate'

(CNN) - Mitt Romney began his stump speech in Michigan on Friday with a joke which raised a sensitive issue: birth certificates.

"I love being home in this place where Ann and I were raised, where both of us were born," he said. "Ann was born at Henry Ford hospital, I was born at Harper hospital. No one has ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised."

Some Republicans, known as "birthers," have questioned the birthplace of President Barack Obama.

Obama's long-form birth certificate was released by the White House in 2011. It showed he was born in a Hawaii hospital on August 4, 1961. Only "natural born" citizens of the United States are eligible to be president.

Among the highest profile of those questioning Obama's birthplace is Donald Trump, who earlier this year endorsed Romney and has said he will have a high-profile role at the Republican National Convention next week. His calls for Obama to release the long-form certificate increased the drumbeat on the issue in the spring of 2011 before the White House gave it out. Despite the document being in the public sphere, Trump has continued to question Obama's birthplace in media appearances and in social media posts.

In a statement responding to Romney's comments, Obama campaign press secretary Ben LaBolt mentioned Trump and others who have raised the birth certificate issue previously.

"Throughout this campaign, Governor Romney has embraced the most strident voices in his party instead of standing up to them," LaBolt said. "It's one thing to give the stage in Tampa to Donald Trump, Sheriff Arpaio, and Kris Kobach. But Governor Romney's decision to directly enlist himself in the birther movement should give pause to any rational voter across America."

Romney senior adviser Kevin Madden said after the candidate's remarks, "The governor has always said, and has repeatedly said, he believes the president was born here in the United States. He was only referencing that Michigan, where he is campaigning today, is the state where he himself was born and raised."

In his Friday remarks, Romney's reference was to his own birth certificate, not that of Obama.

Keep talking about everything else but the economy, Mittens.

MadImmortalMan

Just a poor attempt at a joke, I think. Besides, you can't talk about the economy in Detroit.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

That doesn't make Willard a birther.

Anyway, Seedy, why isn't your guy talking about the economy? :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Of course, the anti-niggers dismiss it.

But I for one applaud Mittens' ability to lose control of the news cycle with his own stupidity.  Can't wait to see what fuck ups transpire in Tampa.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 01:15:55 PM
But I for one applaud Mittens' ability to lose control of the news cycle with his own stupidity. 

No shit.  As much as he's screwed up, I bet Obama is up by like 20 points in the polls by now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Btw, I don't think LaBolt is correct as I'd throw Arpaio in just as bad as the birther movement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2012, 02:14:28 PM
Who's Kris Kobach?

Apparently Secretary of State of Kansas, anti-immigration and friend of Arpaio.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 01:24:40 PM
Btw, I don't think LaBolt is correct as I'd throw Arpaio in just as bad as the birther movement.

LaBolt is also incorrect in that Arpaio will not be speaking at the convention (thank God).

garbon

LaBolt sounds like a good press secretary though I'd wager his statement was more rhetorical than attempting to be factual.

CountDeMoney

I can't wait until the convention in Tampa.  It's going to be the most riveting summer television since Iran-Contra, if only to see what Mittens can step into next.

QuoteMitt Romney Says Big Business 'Doing Fine' After Criticizing Obama for Similar Remarks

HOPKINS, Minn. - Mitt Romney said Thursday night that big businesses are "doing fine," using similar language that the presumptive nominee has hammered President Obama for using to describe the private sector earlier this year.

"I'm going to champion small business. We've got to make it easier for small businesses. Big business is doing fine in many places - they get the loans they need, they can deal with all the regulation," said Romney, speaking to a group of supporters at a private fundraiser in Minnesota.

Romney then added that the reason that big businesses are "doing fine in many places" is because they are able to invest their money in "tax havens."

"They know how to find ways to get through the tax code, save money by putting various things in the places where there are low tax havens around the world for their businesses," said Romney. "But small business is getting crushed."

While Romney often talks about the negative impact regulations have on small businesses during his campaign speeches, his remarks tonight sounded similar to those made by Obama in June in which he said the private sector was "doing fine."

Romney has since used the president's words as a frequent example on the campaign trail of Obama being out of touch with struggling Americans.

At a campaign rally in Michigan just days following Obama's remarks Romney said that the president, "trying to explain that everything's going swimmingly," remarked that "the private sector is doing fine."

Eliciting boos from the crowd, Romney added, "Yeah, I don't hear that where I go across the country, with the 23 million people out of work or underemployed."

Additionally, while Romney said tax havens were helping businesses succeed during his remarks tonight, the candidate's own personal finances have come under scrutiny after it was revealed that some of his investments were placed in offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands.

garbon

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 02:51:00 PM
LaBolt sounds like a good press secretary though I'd wager his statement was more rhetorical than attempting to be factual.

Yeah, being factual seems to be a bit of a challenge for their side.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/08/23/anderson_cooper_hammers_wasserman_schultz_over_romney__abortion.html

DGuller

Romney abortion? :o Haven't heard anything about that.