The Thurston Mittens the 3rd Veep Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2012, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 04:48:49 AM
Paul Ryan has specifically gone out of his way to deny her atheism and concentrates on Rand's Economic theory. Basically he denies her atheism and accepts her tax cutting. I'm perfectly willing to accept that. It is possible to hold two contradicting ideas at the same time.

The problem I have is that Ayn Rand wasn't an economist and really didn't know much about the topic at all, apart from the realization that Lenin's NEP was better than nationalization of all property.

Yeah, what's concerning is Ryan's claim in the Atlas group speech that the basis for his views on monetary policy comes from a speech in Atlas Shrugged.  Maybe he was just playing to audience, but if there is any truth to that, it would be more than a little disturbing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2012, 01:31:45 PM
So I wonder if anything will come of this: http://gawker.com/5936394/the-bain-files-inside-mitt-romneys-tax+dodging-cayman-schemes

Ann Romney has already told you people that you people have got all you people are going to get.  And that's final.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2012, 01:51:40 PMAnn Romney has already told you people that you people have got all you people are going to get.  And that's final.

But it looks like some people did get more...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2012, 02:17:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2012, 01:51:40 PMAnn Romney has already told you people that you people have got all you people are going to get.  And that's final.

But it looks like some people did get more...

You people have got all you people are going to get.  And that's final.

MadImmortalMan

Mitt now flipping and saying he won't renominate Bernanke.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 23, 2012, 02:38:29 PM

Who's it going to be instead? Ron Paul?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on August 23, 2012, 02:39:10 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 23, 2012, 02:38:29 PM

Who's it going to be instead? Ron Paul?

It'll be Paul Krugman and after everyone's head has stopped spinning he'll say it was all a big joke to prove how really funny and personable he is.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

MadImmortalMan

MadImmortalMan

http://www.businessinsider.com/mitt-romney-todd-akin-paul-ryan-abortion-local-interviews-2012-8

Mitt Romney Won't Let Local Reporters Ask About Todd Akin Or Abortion

Mitt Romney stipulated that a local Denver television station not ask him any questions about Missouri Rep. and Senate candidate Todd Akin or abortion, a request that has prompted a firestorm of backlash.

The Obama campaign caught wind of the clip and blasted it out to reporters Thursday afternoon. And so, the biggest piece of news coming from the interview is what Romney said off-air.

Here's the video of the newscast, in which reporter Shaun Boyd revealed that she was not allowed to ask about the topics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Kec4C6zjU

You know, I had about five minutes with him, and we got through a fair amount of material, actually, in that five minutes," Boyd says in the clip.

"The one stipulation to the interview was that I not ask him about abortion or Todd Akin – he's the Missouri Republican who created a firestorm after saying women's shut down in a legitimate rape to prevent pregnancy. I did ask him about health care, the female vote, and energy."

It comes as Romney and running mate Paul Ryan have faced question after question about Akin's controversial comments on rape, pregnancy and abortion last Sunday.

Democrats have already started trying to tie Akin to Romney and especially Ryan, who co-sponsored a controversial bill with Akin last year that critics say tried to "redefine rape." An early version of the bill would have narrowed exceptions for federal funding in abortions to cases of "forcible rape."

The Obama team has faced its own criticism in the past weeks for aides reportedly attempting to edit Vice President Joe Biden's pool reports.

Can this board embed video?

CountDeMoney

The CEO will only be asked questions by your people that the CEO wants to answer from you people.

Barrister

I mean, all's fair in love, war and politics, so if Obama can get some mileage out of this then good for them, but I think it's fairly standard when you're an in-demand interview like a Presidential nominee to put limits on what you're being asked.

How many times was Obama (directly, not staffers) asked about being a muslim or his birth certificate?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2012, 04:55:48 PM
I mean, all's fair in love, war and politics, so if Obama can get some mileage out of this then good for them, but I think it's fairly standard when you're an in-demand interview like a Presidential nominee to put limits on what you're being asked.

Uh, yeah...

QuoteHow many times was Obama (directly, not staffers) asked about being a muslim or his birth certificate?

Not very often.  You want to know why?  Because they're stupid fucking moonbat questions.