The Thurston Mittens the 3rd Veep Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2012, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Phillip V on August 12, 2012, 02:33:24 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 12, 2012, 01:22:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 01:08:18 AM
As to the states, you've overlooked a third option: reduce salaries. 

Whose salaries do you propose reducing?  When I look at state government, I don't see the huge epidemic of grossly overpaid courtiers running about. It's look a  lot more like Sparta than Versailles.   The other day, I was in discussion about some techincal details with a state department only to find they lacked the ability to perform basic database management functions, becuase their computer system dates from the 70s and they have to strictly ration the time of their limited technical personnel.  When I look at the state employees who are in my own profession, it looks to me like they are pretty seriously underpaid compared to the importance of their job functions.  The pay scales are generally lower than the federal equivalent and way, WAY below the private sector. 

If you cut the price offered, you will either get less quality or quantity.  So if the argument is that we should be cutting state salaries, you either have to make the argument that the quality of state public services is better than it needs to be, or that some magical way to achieve vast efficiencies will allow you to cut overall pay and increase quality.

QuoteIt also seems eminently sensible to push the problem to another sovereign.

I don't agree but it's besides the point.  Sensible or not, it doesn't change to scope of the problem.
What were their salaries?

If working for the state Monday-Saturday they were allowed to work Sundays and keep what they earned that day.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 03:19:47 PM
Do the states employee those people?

It seems to be some kind of hybrid between the localities employing them and the state employing them.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 03:14:02 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 12, 2012, 01:22:32 PM
Whose salaries do you propose reducing?

Teachers, cops, and firefighters.
Wouldn't it make more sense to increase taxes on the people who value the services of the teachers, cops and firefighters?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2012, 03:21:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 03:14:02 PM
Teachers, cops, and firefighters.
Wouldn't it make more sense to increase taxes on the people who value the services of the teachers, cops and firefighters?

No, because the public isn't unionized.

Admiral Yi

Wouldn't it make more sense for residents of a state to express their preference throught the political process?

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 03:24:38 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense for residents of a state to express their preference throught the political process?
No.  The residents of the state are idiots who want first-class services for free.  If left unchecked, their selfishness would make it impossible to maintain a civilized society.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2012, 03:29:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 03:24:38 PM
No.  The residents of the state are idiots who want first-class services for free.  If left unchecked, their selfishness would make it impossible to maintain a civilized society.

Privatized police and firefighting forces would be awesome for the Social Darwinist Teabagger crowd: take care of whitey and the affluent areas, and ignore the poor and the blacks that can't afford their services.
You know, like The Old Days.

Admiral Yi

That's a reasonable response, but then the next question is why is the federal government's responsibility to pick up the slack if a state's electorate is disfunctional?  There are states which don't have a massive disconnect between expenses and revenues.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 03:21:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 03:19:47 PM
Do the states employee those people?

It seems to be some kind of hybrid between the localities employing them and the state employing them.

So if you cut the state funding, then you simply shift the burden to counties, school districts and municipalities.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 04:00:04 PM
So if you cut the state funding, then you simply shift the burden to counties, school districts and municipalities.

And states.

Or states, counties, school districts, and municipalities decide the burden is not worth bearing.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 03:34:03 PM
That's a reasonable response, but then the next question is why is the federal government's responsibility to pick up the slack if a state's electorate is disfunctional?  There are states which don't have a massive disconnect between expenses and revenues.
Because the federal government has a duty to all their citizens.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 04:07:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 04:00:04 PM

And states.

Or states, counties, school districts, and municipalities decide the burden is not worth bearing.

Ah, so the poorest of these communities who can't pay for services as well just stop paying for them while wealthier communities are able to pick up the burden.

"Don't go to mayberry.  They don't have a police force anymore.  Couldn't afford it.  Now the whole area is ruled by the Meth dealers.

Admiral Yi

I know plenty of one stoplight townships in Iowa which don't have a police force and for the life of me can't think of one that's ruled by meth lords.