Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2012, 10:05:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2012, 10:03:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2012, 09:33:32 AM
So either someone more "hip" like Christie

:blink:

By Republican standards. :P

I thought he has been making centrist noises on stuff like pot or gay rights?

I should have known you have your own definitions for English terms.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Don't know about gay, but certainly not pot.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 10:09:52 AM

Don't know about gay, but certainly not pot.

Also Christie vetoed a gay marriage bill. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Faeelin

Why wouldn't Christie have had a shot? He's way more charismatic than Romney, and comes off as unabashedly conservative. He isn't, and has been able to work with Democrats in NJ, but as a successful GOP politician from a blue state he's done very well.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Faeelin on July 06, 2012, 10:28:07 AM
Why wouldn't Christie have had a shot? He's way more charismatic than Romney, and comes off as unabashedly conservative. He isn't, and has been able to work with Democrats in NJ, but as a successful GOP politician from a blue state he's done very well.

Does the GOP really need another ticket where the Veep outshone the POTUS candidate?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 10:37:00 AM

Does the GOP really need another ticket where the Veep outshone the POTUS candidate?

We were talking about my contention about the presidency. I think.

DGuller

Why wouldn't Christie have had a shot?
Because a successful Northeastern Republican simply cannot win a Republican primary.  Mitt Romney had to reinvent himself completely to get through, and only after Republican voters gave everyone from Gingrich to Crazy Cat Lady a temporary lead in the nomination race first.
QuoteHe's way more charismatic than Romney, and comes off as unabashedly conservative. He isn't, and has been able to work with Democrats in NJ, but as a successful GOP politician from a blue state he's done very well.
I'm sure all that would come out in the primaries, and he would be slammed for it.  For New Jersey, Christie is clearly a conservative, but you don't have to scratch the surface a lot to see a somewhat reasonable man by national standards.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on July 06, 2012, 11:00:39 AM
Because a successful Northeastern Republican simply cannot win a Republican primary.  Mitt Romney...

So, they can't, but they can.   :huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on July 06, 2012, 11:38:35 AM
Because a successful Northeastern Republican simply cannot win a Republican primary.  Mitt Romney...

There are a couple of Mitt Romneys out there.  The one that won the latest primary was not the one that was a Northeastern Republican politician.  Christie can't disassociate himself from new Jersey the way Mitt disassociated himself from Massachusetts.

dps

You have to excuse him.  Like a lot of people, if reality doesn't conform to his preconcieved notions, he has to try to redefine reality, instead of reconsidering his preconceptions.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 09:00:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2012, 08:42:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 06:27:19 AM
They may have no choice but to play it safe with another boring white guy, but not one that can show up Mittens in the personality department.  The Veep'll have to be even duller.

I don't know - given how meh everyone is it'd be nice to have some invigorating in the wings.

Has the Mittens campaign ever given you a single reason to see anything invigorating in it at all?  Anywhere?  So why start now?

Mittens?  Who?

Is Antti Miettinen suddenly running for office? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on July 06, 2012, 10:19:16 PM
You have to excuse him.  Like a lot of people, if reality doesn't conform to his preconcieved notions, he has to try to redefine reality, instead of reconsidering his preconceptions.

The reality is that Candidate Romney had to distance himself a lot from Governor Romney.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Oi!  You're stealing my bit!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 06, 2012, 11:00:23 PM

The reality is that Candidate Romney had to distance himself a lot from Governor Romney.

I wouldn't argue against that statement, but it's not as broad as what DGuller was claiming.