The Thurston Mittens the 3rd Veep Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2012, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

To me both Obama and Romney are empty suits on 99% of all issues - the living conditions of an average American won't change in the slightest no matter which one of them is elected. Sure, different people will get their panties in a bunch if one of these guys bows to the Japanese emperor or the other guy tells Israelis they are a master race, but beyond that there will be no fucking difference.

I can't believe people get up in arms so much about this.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on August 10, 2012, 09:50:30 AM
To me both Obama and Romney are empty suits on 99% of all issues - the living conditions of an average American won't change in the slightest no matter which one of them is elected. Sure, different people will get their panties in a bunch if one of these guys bows to the Japanese emperor or the other guy tells Israelis they are a master race, but beyond that there will be no fucking difference.

I can't believe people get up in arms so much about this.

"Empty suits" in American politics pander to their bases, which means significant differences depending on which party the suit belongs to even if their (lack of) convictions are the same.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 09:37:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2012, 09:36:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2012, 08:44:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 10, 2012, 01:11:01 AM
In fact, if you look at his record as the governor of Massachussets, he is the exact opposite of what you claim.

Really, we wouldn't know;  he refuses to run on his record, or even talk about it.

Unlike Obama, who...

Indeed. Didn't have a record and then made tons of promises that he never intended to keep.

I was thinking more about how he's too afraid to run on his record right now, but yeah.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 09:37:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2012, 09:36:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2012, 08:44:19 AM
In fact, if you look at his record as the governor of Massachussets, he is the exact opposite of what you claim.

Really, we wouldn't know;  he refuses to run on his record, or even talk about it.

Unlike Obama, who...

Indeed. Didn't have a record and then made tons of promises that he never intended to keep.

Yeah, Obama promised to step up the search for Bin Laden, I don't think we're even looking for the guy anymore. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2012, 10:54:23 AM
Yeah, Obama promised to step up the search for Bin Laden, I don't think we're even looking for the guy anymore. 

That's one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2012, 10:46:05 AMI was thinking more about how he's too afraid to run on his record right now, but yeah.

I haven't been following it that closely, but from what I've seen Obama is running on Obamacare, repealing DADT, the bailout of the auto industry and getting bin Laden amongst other things.

Is he not in fact running on those things? Or are they not his record?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on August 10, 2012, 11:10:19 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2012, 10:46:05 AMI was thinking more about how he's too afraid to run on his record right now, but yeah.

I haven't been following it that closely, but from what I've seen Obama is running on Obamacare, repealing DADT, the bailout of the auto industry and getting bin Laden amongst other things.

Is he not in fact running on those things? Or are they not his record?

He mentions those things when he goes & speaks with particular interest groups, but makes no mention of them in his campaign ads.  Those are 100% negative Romney attacks.

If I were Obama I wouldn't run on my record, either.

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2012, 11:25:14 AM
If I were Obama I wouldn't run on my record, either.

And you would call yourself Barry :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on August 09, 2012, 11:14:33 PM
????  The article you yourself posted said that he's pretty clearly just putting the guy off.

And I certainly don't see the idea of pardoning Pollard to be a right-wing issue.  I hate to put it this way, but essentially it's not a left-wing issue or a right-wing issue, it's a Jewish issue.

Hell no it's not.
It's some deranged ultra-Zionist issue.  "Israeli infallibility" or something like that.
Plenty of Jews including yours truly think that traitorous shit should stay where he is.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

That was evil twin Mitt;  didn't you see "Romney: the Sequel" aka the 2012 GOP primary?  The Massachusetts Romney was a changeling. A doppleganger.  A disguised double inflitrated by the Liberal Media Conspiracy while the real Mitt was kept drugged and under wraps deep in the bowels of the national HQ of ACORN.   Or maybe it was all just a dream . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 10, 2012, 12:19:03 PM

That was evil twin Mitt;  didn't you see "Romney: the Sequel" aka the 2012 GOP primary?  The Massachusetts Romney was a changeling. A doppleganger.  A disguised double inflitrated by the Liberal Media Conspiracy while the real Mitt was kept drugged and under wraps deep in the bowels of the national HQ of ACORN.   Or maybe it was all just a dream . . .

Was he a governor in the 2012 GOP primary?  Seems more like he's just gung-ho on telling people what he thinks he wants to hear.  What worked in liberal Massachusetts doesn't play as well on the GOP mainstage so his campaigning points have take a sharp right.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Fox News has him down 9 points. Mitt's campaign really sucks. If you can't do better than that against a president running with our economy, you are entering "worst candidate ever" territory.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Well, our economy hasn't really been doing all that well since 2000.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

If you want the economy to be as good as in the 90s just do what Bill Clinton did.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 10, 2012, 01:04:36 PM
If you want the economy to be as good as in the 90s just do what Bill Clinton did.

Put Hillary in the White House?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.