And we're back!

Main Menu

Is July the worst month for business?

Started by viper37, July 04, 2012, 01:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2012, 08:39:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2012, 05:28:05 PM
Americans are more daring then the British.  They re willing to do things other people wouldn't attempt.  Though it's entirely possible that Quebec (and with it the rest of Canada), might have just become an independent nation if they sided with the American colonists.
No, I don't think so.  An attempt by Quebec to leave the Union would have resulted in conquest and the mass slaughter of the French Catholics.

They were invited into the Union, but if they didn't join it, the US probably wouldn't have forced the issue, though France might try to pick it up again.  Still a Free French Canada in the 1780's is an interesting idea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 03:04:11 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2012, 01:11:53 PM
Catholicism in America is mostly due to the massive arrival of Irish immigrants.

WRONG
Wikipedia disagrees:
QuoteThe number of Catholics has grown during the country's history, at first slowly in the early 19th century through some immigration and through the acquisition of territories (formerly possessions of France, Spain, and Mexico) with predominately Catholic populations. In the mid-19th century, a rapid influx of Irish and German immigrants made Catholicism the largest religion in the United States.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

People who use Wiki as reference material need to floss their teeth with my ass hair.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on July 07, 2012, 01:26:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 03:04:11 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2012, 01:11:53 PM
Catholicism in America is mostly due to the massive arrival of Irish immigrants.

WRONG
Wikipedia disagrees:
QuoteThe number of Catholics has grown during the country's history, at first slowly in the early 19th century through some immigration and through the acquisition of territories (formerly possessions of France, Spain, and Mexico) with predominately Catholic populations. In the mid-19th century, a rapid influx of Irish and German immigrants made Catholicism the largest religion in the United States.

Good for it.  Still you didn't mention the Germans or the Italians.  Coincidentally I have German, Irish and Italian heritage.  There were quite a few people who did convert to Catholicism in the US.  It's amazing how quickly Catholicism spread in the US.  Even in times of persecutions and harassment there were many leaders who were Catholic or raised Catholic.  During the Civil War Sheridan, Rosecrans and Beauregard were Catholic, and Sherman was a lapsed Catholic.  These were the days when the Orange Men still marched in New York.  I imagine that a sizable percentage of the Union army was Catholic.  Probably at least 25%.  Compare this to the U.K., the other major anglophone country in the world.  Catholics only had gotten civil rights fairly recently, and number of Catholics in high position as pretty low.  Not to mention that little famine thingy that had recently happened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Yeah, but the Civil War was in the middle of a huge spike in Irish immigration that started during the Famine.  Nothing you said in any way refutes the claim that the Irish were the driving force behind Catholicism in the early US.  Italian imigration wasn't really that important until after unification, and the Germans were full of Protestants that had fled Germany following the failure of the 1848 rebellions.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

OTOH, a lot of Irish immigrants were actually part of the Scotch-Irish Protestant minority, and a lot of Irish Catholics converted to Protestantism once they got to the States.  And there was already a fairly sizable Catholic minority here before the spike in Irish immigration.

It's a complicated question.  One of the difficulties is that there are no official statistics for religious affiliation in the US, and the unofficial stats I've seen I don't much trust.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 07, 2012, 05:36:51 PM
And there was already a fairly sizable Catholic minority here before the spike in Irish immigration.

This.  There weren't any Irishmen in St. Augustine.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 05:47:44 PM
How many Catholics were there in 1819-1820?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2012, 11:08:20 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 09, 2012, 09:44:19 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 05:47:44 PM
How many Catholics were there in 1819-1820?

Enough.
Well, there were Seminoles (not Catholics), there were American settlers from neighbouring Southern States (not Catholics), and a few Spanish here&there, and many of them probably chose to return to Spain or move to Mexico after Florida was transferred to the US.

garbon

I don't really understand what is being debated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2012, 12:53:12 PM
I don't really understand what is being debated.
I'm not debating, I'm just trying to see if CdM will quit without having the last insult word.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on July 09, 2012, 12:46:51 PM
there were American settlers from neighbouring Southern States (not Catholics)

If they were there legally, they were at least nominally Catholic.  Though it's likely that many weren't there legally.