News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is July the worst month for business?

Started by viper37, July 04, 2012, 01:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2012, 02:29:15 PM
I'm unaware of any anti-Catholic sentiment directed at Louisiana.  Or at Maryland for that matter.  Don't see why Quebec would have been different.

Well clearly if you are unaware of it it didn't happen?  For Godsake Yi read the history of Maryland.  It was hardly a bastion of Catholicism despite the intentions of the Calverts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2012, 02:34:41 PM
I'm unaware of any anti-Catholic sentiment directed at Louisiana.  Or at Maryland for that matter.  Don't see why Quebec would have been different.

Well clearly if you are unaware of it it didn't happen?  For Godsake Yi read the history of Maryland.  It was hardly a bastion of Catholicism despite the intentions of the Calverts.

Yep. We've a pretty big history of it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Catholicism in America certainly had its issues.  Thrived, but had issues.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2012, 02:39:26 PM

I think this applies to  lots of groups here who have struggled with their...erm....popularity and is a certainly something we can hang our hats on.  Well except the Native Americans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2012, 02:22:04 PM
I think the Canadians were probably wise not to trust us.  In the long run we were probably no friends of theirs.

Well, they'd be English-speaking American protestants now, instead of French-speaking Canadians atheists in denial about being Canadian.  :D

Admiral Yi

What exactly is your problem?  Seems every time I post something in response to you flip out.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2012, 03:17:35 PM

What exactly is your problem?  Seems every time I post something in response to you flip out.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2012, 03:17:35 PM

Am I?  Ok I hadn't noticed I will try to be nicer moving forward.  Is this about the William Wallace thing?  I just didn't understand what your question was.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2012, 01:15:12 PMUnless sales patterns are hugely different in Poland than in civilized countries, it would seem Marty knows just as little about business as he does about law or having babies.  :)

Tons of lawyering done during December.  :rolleyes:

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2012, 01:32:55 PM
If the Canadians had joined us in 1775 they would have been flooded by settlers once the war was over.  I wonder how distinctive Quebec would have remained in the long run.

Though I find it amusing to imagine how a delegation of French-speaking Catholics to the Continental Congress would have changed the dynamic.
Quebec and Canada were flooded by settlers after the war, they were called "Loyalists".   They established themselves in actual day Ontario, Ottawa area, Montreal, and Eastern Townships.  To this day, they still sing God Save the Queen every year before the national anthem, as per proper procedure dictated by the Governement of Canada ;)

There wasn't much population in Ontario at the time, it was mostly indians, so they quickly became a majority.  In Quebec, most of the good lands were already taken by the French colonists, so the British crown attempted to open their townships in non settled land in the valley of the St-Lawrence, and it was mostly a failure.  Near my own village, two attemps were made to compete with the old land division still in use ("rang", ranks parrallel to the main body of water), both didn't attract much in terms of new settlers, english or french, but were popular for some time with the lumber industry in the 19th century up to the mid 20th century when the railroad was abandonned.   Today that old railroad track is an ATV/Snowmobile trail and the old trainstation a rest area.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2012, 02:39:26 PM

Catholicism in America is mostly due to the massive arrival of Irish immigrants.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2012, 01:11:53 PM
Catholicism in America is mostly due to the massive arrival of Irish immigrants.

WRONG

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2012, 01:00:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2012, 01:32:55 PM
If the Canadians had joined us in 1775 they would have been flooded by settlers once the war was over.  I wonder how distinctive Quebec would have remained in the long run.

Though I find it amusing to imagine how a delegation of French-speaking Catholics to the Continental Congress would have changed the dynamic.
Quebec and Canada were flooded by settlers after the war, they were called "Loyalists".   They established themselves in actual day Ontario, Ottawa area, Montreal, and Eastern Townships.  To this day, they still sing God Save the Queen every year before the national anthem, as per proper procedure dictated by the Governement of Canada ;)

There wasn't much population in Ontario at the time, it was mostly indians, so they quickly became a majority.  In Quebec, most of the good lands were already taken by the French colonists, so the British crown attempted to open their townships in non settled land in the valley of the St-Lawrence, and it was mostly a failure.  Near my own village, two attemps were made to compete with the old land division still in use ("rang", ranks parrallel to the main body of water), both didn't attract much in terms of new settlers, english or french, but were popular for some time with the lumber industry in the 19th century up to the mid 20th century when the railroad was abandonned.   Today that old railroad track is an ATV/Snowmobile trail and the old trainstation a rest area.

Americans are more daring then the British.  They re willing to do things other people wouldn't attempt.  Though it's entirely possible that Quebec (and with it the rest of Canada), might have just become an independent nation if they sided with the American colonists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2012, 05:28:05 PM
Americans are more daring then the British.  They re willing to do things other people wouldn't attempt.  Though it's entirely possible that Quebec (and with it the rest of Canada), might have just become an independent nation if they sided with the American colonists.
No, I don't think so.  An attempt by Quebec to leave the Union would have resulted in conquest and the mass slaughter of the French Catholics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

It would've fucked up our map, too.  And the flag.