News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is July the worst month for business?

Started by viper37, July 04, 2012, 01:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I'd think July would be OK. August is the main holiday month so July should be lots of people buying stuff for their holidays, trying to get things finished up before they go away, etc...
Worst I'd think would be post-new year period January and February. Everyone is spent after christmas and bunkering down to see out winter.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

There is a Chinese saying - May is poor; June is the bottom of the valley; July is coming back.  Business is the best during the Christmas and Chinese new year holidays in December, January and February.  Then it will go downhill from there.  May and June are usually examination months where students must stay home to fight for their future.  Their parents won't take them out, and many will stay home to accompany them even during weekends.  July is the start of the summer holidays for schools, so business will begin to bounce back. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 05:15:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2012, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 01:38:09 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 04, 2012, 01:29:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2012, 01:10:14 PM
See, if you guys would have supported us in 1775, you'd only have one these bad business days.
They were also given a second chance in 1812 and failed to help themselves yet again.
It seems to have worked out much better for us than it did for you.
Yeah, when did you guys become independent?  1982?
You could say 1848, 1867 or 1931.  No matter which you choose, it's worked out a lot better than your rebellion.

Seems to have worked out for us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2012, 07:43:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 05:15:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2012, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 01:38:09 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 04, 2012, 01:29:24 PM
See, if you guys would have supported us in 1775, you'd only have one these bad business days.
They were also given a second chance in 1812 and failed to help themselves yet again.
It seems to have worked out much better for us than it did for you.
Yeah, when did you guys become independent?  1982?
You could say 1848, 1867 or 1931.  No matter which you choose, it's worked out a lot better than your rebellion.

Seems to have worked out for us.

Well at least 1% of you.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on July 04, 2012, 07:26:37 PM
I'd think July would be OK. August is the main holiday month so July should be lots of people buying stuff for their holidays, trying to get things finished up before they go away, etc...
Worst I'd think would be post-new year period January and February. Everyone is spent after christmas and bunkering down to see out winter.

Now now, maybe not in the UK, but on the continent they get July and August as holidays. And they are bunkering down to see out winter in January and February. But the rest of the year they are hard at work, Monday - Friday, 9-5. Except for holidays of course, which take up a good chunk of the Lenten calendar and a decent number of days in Advent. Plus other national days, May day, and religious holidays that I can't remember because I didn't pay attention in Sunday school. And in the South of course they need to take 2.5 hours off for siesta.

But other than that, they are working hard. Except when they are on strike.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

I think December is worse unless you are selling junk to the stupid or are an accountant.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on July 04, 2012, 07:26:37 PM

No idea how it is in Jolly Olde, but in the States, January and February are a bit down.  There are a lot of clearance sales in January to get rid of stock that didn't sell for Christmas, but while that can keep gross sales figures looking OK, it's not exactly great for profits.  Early February tends to be a bit dead, but by mid-month, sales are picking back up as people start to buy spring merchandise (and, if Easter items if Easter comes fairly early that year).

Quote from: MartinusI think December is worse unless you are selling junk to the stupid or are an accountant.

Unless sales patterns are hugely different in Poland than in civilized countries, it would seem Marty knows just as little about business as he does about law or having babies.  :)

viper37

you have this crazy neighbor, who, just yesterday, considered you just a little better than his slaves.  Today, he wants you to fight side by side against the Evil you know.  It's hard to make a choice.

But in the end, some of us supported you anyway on your attack on Quebec city.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2012, 01:15:12 PM
Unless sales patterns are hugely different in Poland than in civilized countries, it would seem Marty knows just as little about business as he does about law or having babies.  :)

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

If the Canadians had joined us in 1775 they would have been flooded by settlers once the war was over.  I wonder how distinctive Quebec would have remained in the long run.

Though I find it amusing to imagine how a delegation of French-speaking Catholics to the Continental Congress would have changed the dynamic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2012, 01:32:55 PM
If the Canadians had joined us in 1775 they would have been flooded by settlers once the war was over.  I wonder how distinctive Quebec would have remained in the long run.

Though I find it amusing to imagine how a delegation of French-speaking Catholics to the Continental Congress would have changed the dynamic.
Would the United States have developed a less anti-Catholic culture?

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on July 05, 2012, 02:05:57 PM

Or even more so...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Phillip V on July 05, 2012, 02:05:57 PM

My guess is that a large French Catholic minority would have lead to more anti-Catholic sentiment, not less.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2012, 02:12:26 PM
My guess is that a large French Catholic minority would have lead to more anti-Catholic sentiment, not less.

Oh yeah I am afraid the impact would probably have been pretty negative.  I think the Canadians were probably wise not to trust us.  In the long run we were probably no friends of theirs.

But who knows.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I'm unaware of any anti-Catholic sentiment directed at Louisiana.  Or at Maryland for that matter.  Don't see why Quebec would have been different.