European Court of Justice rules: You can resell digitally purchased software.

Started by Syt, July 03, 2012, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2012, 07:24:50 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2012, 06:54:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 06:51:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2012, 05:53:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 05:28:09 PM
Well no.  I was under the impression that scarcity of items was not a factor in digital distribution.  Scarcity of bandwidth or electrons, sure, but not titles.
Steam can run out of keycodes.

Possibly, but how many variables are there for one game? There are like 25 different digits which can use either a number or a letter.  I'm not good at math and don't know how to figure how many possible codes there are for one game.  Hundreds of Trillions?  And even if they did, they could just get rid of the requirement.

Digital retail work like brick & mortar retailers. They buy a finite amount of games from the publishers. While the B&M get a dvd in a box, the Digital retailer gets codes & a data file.

Can you prove this?

Steam is block from work but It's all over their forum. They regularly run out of keys when games have unexpected success or from a sale.

Here's an example from the game Risen : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11835
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

All in all, this is fuckin' interventionalism again.

I know about at least one distributor offering the chance to sell back your games, Greenman Gaming. People still haven't flocked there. Why? Because most doesn't give a fuck.

When this becomes an issue, place like Steam will change or go out of business.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2012, 07:27:45 AM
Well no.  I was under the impression that scarcity of items was not a factor in digital distribution.  Scarcity of bandwidth or electrons, sure, but not titles.

Possibly, but how many variables are there for one game? There are like 25 different digits which can use either a number or a letter.  I'm not good at math and don't know how to figure how many possible codes there are for one game.  Hundreds of Trillions?  And even if they did, they could just get rid of the requirement.

Digital retail work like brick & mortar retailers. They buy a finite amount of games from the publishers. While the B&M get a dvd in a box, the Digital retailer gets codes & a data file.

Can you prove this?

Steam is block from work but It's all over their forum. They regularly run out of keys when games have unexpected success or from a sale.

Here's an example from the game Risen : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11835

What about games sites like GOG.com?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2012, 07:32:00 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2012, 07:27:45 AM

Can you prove this?

What about games sites like GOG.com?

GOG.com is mostly the retail outfit of a publisher but I don't know how it works for their older games. It's a good question.

Martinus

Tamas, the more you post on Languish, the more I am convinced there is a reason you are stuck in a shitty job in Hungary. You are just not very bright.

Razgovory

Your post implied that a digital distributor had to actually purchase the codes.  After all, brick and mortar stores have to purchase each copy of a game.  I'm not seeing evidence of this.  What I see is a licence to sell the games not the distributorship purchasing each CD key and then selling it to a customer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2012, 07:44:49 AM
Tamas, the more you post on Languish, the more I am convinced there is a reason you are stuck in a shitty job in Hungary. You are just not very bright.

We here also are fully aware why suckling on toes is part of your personality.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2012, 07:47:09 AM
Your post implied that a digital distributor had to actually purchase the codes.  After all, brick and mortar stores have to purchase each copy of a game.  I'm not seeing evidence of this.  What I see is a licence to sell the games not the distributorship purchasing each CD key and then selling it to a customer.

Grumbler?

Duque de Bragança

Neil

The code has to fit an algorithm, and they can't get rid of the requirement.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

szmik

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 09:22:41 AM

The code has to fit an algorithm, and they can't get rid of the requirement.
and you don't need more keys than people, so you can easily cut out like million of combinations. :)
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

sbr

Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2012, 07:29:27 AM

I know about at least one distributor offering the chance to sell back your games, Greenman Gaming. People still haven't flocked there. Why? Because most doesn't give a fuck.

Right?  What kind of crazy, liberal, interventionist agenda would it take for a court to rule that one actually owns something that one bought and paid for?

And as for your stupid Blue-Ray examples, the problem is that the cinema or rental shop is violating the license that was transfered to them in the re-sale.

Razgovory

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on July 04, 2012, 12:49:57 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2012, 07:29:27 AM

Right?  What kind of crazy, liberal, interventionist agenda would it take for a court to rule that one actually owns something that one bought and paid for?

And as for your stupid Blue-Ray examples, the problem is that the cinema or rental shop is violating the license that was transfered to them in the re-sale.

Did you actually buy all rights to the game?