European Court of Justice rules: You can resell digitally purchased software.

Started by Syt, July 03, 2012, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2012, 01:54:50 PM
Anyone who accuses a civil law system court of "judicial activism" or "interventionism" uses the screen name 'Martinus' has no idea what he is talking about.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 04, 2012, 02:01:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 01:31:15 PM
That the scarcity is not a function of the limitation of the ability to copy, but a function of the codes used for DRM.  Because GOG is selling old games that they've been allowed to sell without DRM, they can sell as much as they want.
GOG doesn't sell only old games.  If the codes are not actually purchased by the distributors it's not really relevant to what GF was saying.
They don't sell anything new that's AAA.

The digital distributors are assigned batches of codekeys, which can be depleted.  In order to get more, they have to get them from the publisher, which can take days or weeks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2012, 02:47:56 PM
Presumably they distrbute to the authors and composers (nwho are not necessarily the artists or distributors of the songs). They have pretty strong leverage in Germany. E.g. if you were to hold a public/commercial dance party you have to pay GEMA fees for the music played there. If you're not happy with that, YOU have to prove that the music you play is authored/composed by non-GEMA members (and this has been confirmed by legislation).

Sony and Universal in Germany have thrown hissy fits over GEMA blocking quite a few of their artists' videos on YouTube because GEMA thinks they don't get their fair share.
I think that they're going to try bringing this in in Canada.

sbr

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 04:04:14 PM
That the scarcity is not a function of the limitation of the ability to copy, but a function of the codes used for DRM.  Because GOG is selling old games that they've been allowed to sell without DRM, they can sell as much as they want.
GOG doesn't sell only old games.  If the codes are not actually purchased by the distributors it's not really relevant to what GF was saying.

The digital distributors are assigned batches of codekeys, which can be depleted.  In order to get more, they have to get them from the publisher, which can take days or weeks.

I believe they sold The Witcher 2 on release, though they are owned by the same company.

They also sold the PC version of Alan Wake very shortly after, if not right at, release.

Not sure if those fall into your new or AAA categories.

Admiral Yi

I've changed my mind about the ruling.  It's an unwarranted restriction on the freedom to contract.

Neil

You know, the idea that you're actually buying software rather than renting it does appeal to me though.  Surely the next step is to invalidate EULAs.

dps

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 06:26:37 PM
You know, the idea that you're actually buying software rather than renting it does appeal to me though.  Surely the next step is to invalidate EULAs.

Well, the 2 ideas would seem to go hand-in-hand.  If you buy a product from a business, generally speaking you don't also have to buy a license to use if from that business.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 06:51:46 PM
Possibly, but how many variables are there for one game? There are like 25 different digits which can use either a number or a letter.  I'm not good at math and don't know how to figure how many possible codes there are for one game.  Hundreds of Trillions?  And even if they did, they could just get rid of the requirement.

Assuming that a 25-character key avoids easily-confused characters like "1" and "I" or "0" and "O," with an English alphabet, That's still theoretically 32^25 keycodes.  Keep in mind, though, that those aren't the only practical limitations.  A key's also going to avoid things like repeating blocks, directly linear combinations of characters, any key that composes of a single character repeated...
Experience bij!

Syt

Part of the key is sometimes also a code for identifying the game itself, further limiting the combinations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maximus

As Neil pointed out it's a very specific subset of all the possible combinations. Otherwise it would be too easy to randomly generate a bunch of keys.

Tonitrus

They should just go back to code wheels....I'd always lose them anyway...so it would work against resale.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2012, 10:17:42 PM
Part of the key is sometimes also a code for identifying the game itself, further limiting the combinations.

Sure, but that's actually less secure- pseudorandom keys can't be reverse-engineered, but hashes can.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 04, 2012, 11:01:27 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2012, 10:17:42 PM

Sure, but that's actually less secure- pseudorandom keys can't be reverse-engineered, but hashes can.
Yeah, but the game can't locally verify a random key, and if you're going to use an online connection, than keycodes aren't the best solution anyways.

Tamas

Quote from: sbr on July 04, 2012, 04:18:44 PM

I believe they sold The Witcher 2 on release, though they are owned by the same company.

They also sold the PC version of Alan Wake very shortly after, if not right at, release.

worth noting that the pirated release of Witcher 2, was, by no surprise, the GOG edition.

sbr

Quote from: Tamas on July 05, 2012, 01:31:52 AM
Quote from: sbr on July 04, 2012, 04:18:44 PM

worth noting that the pirated release of Witcher 2, was, by no surprise, the GOG edition.

First why is that worth noting?

Second, coming from an expert....