European Court of Justice rules: You can resell digitally purchased software.

Started by Syt, July 03, 2012, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2012, 01:25:58 PMso by effect, copy-protection schemes are from today banned in the EU

Doubtful. Example from Germany and Austria: the right to personal backup copies of your media (movies, software etc.) is acknowledged. However, it's illegal to circumvent effective copy protection.

(Never mind that you pay a copyright fee on almost all empty data bstorage: audio tapes, CDs, but also on printers, photocopiers, and since recently on hard drives hard drives . . . because all of the lost sales from copies made with/to these things.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 01:31:15 PM
That the scarcity is not a function of the limitation of the ability to copy, but a function of the codes used for DRM.  Because GOG is selling old games that they've been allowed to sell without DRM, they can sell as much as they want.

Also, GOG prices are usually in an area where reselling is not worth the hassle.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2012, 01:32:34 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2012, 01:25:58 PMso by effect, copy-protection schemes are from today banned in the EU

Doubtful. Example from Germany and Austria: the right to personal backup copies of your media (movies, software etc.) is acknowledged. However, it's illegal to circumvent effective copy protection.

(Never mind that you pay a copyright fee on almost all empty data bstorage: audio tapes, CDs, but also on printers, photocopiers, and since recently on hard drives hard drives . . . because all of the lost sales from copies made with/to these things.)

There is a difference between a backup copy, and being stopped from giving away your copy to whomever you see fit.

And I have big doubts about that copyright fee properly reaching the copyright owners. Most of it must be swallowed by the state.

Martinus

Anyone who accuses a civil law system court of "judicial activism" or "interventionism" has no idea what he is talking about. Civil law courts (and this includes the ECJ) cannot "create" law even if they wanted - they can only interpret and apply existing law.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 01:31:15 PM
That the scarcity is not a function of the limitation of the ability to copy, but a function of the codes used for DRM.  Because GOG is selling old games that they've been allowed to sell without DRM, they can sell as much as they want.

GOG doesn't sell only old games.  If the codes are not actually purchased by the distributors it's not really relevant to what GF was saying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2012, 01:54:50 PM
Anyone who accuses a civil law system court of "judicial activism" or "interventionism" has no idea what he is talking about. Civil law courts (and this includes the ECJ) cannot "create" law even if they wanted - they can only interpret and apply existing law.

That's a little circular.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2012, 01:40:44 PM
And I have big doubts about that copyright fee properly reaching the copyright owners. Most of it must be swallowed by the state.

In Germany, the ZPÜ collects the levy from the manufacturers and then distributes it to rights holders, most notably GEMA (who wanted to charge YouTube €0.12 for every music video viewed in Germany) or VG Wort (print media representative body).

Prices in Germany are €12.50 for scanners, €13.65 for PCs, multifunctional laser copier/printer/scanners with 40+ pages per minute €87.50, MP3 players €2.56, external HDs >1 TB €9.00 etc.

International overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

The upside is that since you already paid for the stuff you can fill the HDs with torrented shit without feeling bad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2012, 02:30:10 PM
The upside is that since you already paid for the stuff you can fill the HDs with torrented shit without feeling bad.

If only.

The good thing is that Austria considers copyright violations mostly a civil, non-criminal issue (unless you earn money on it, like selling pirated stuff or running warez servers with ad or subscription revenue), and ISPs can't be forced (and assed) to hand over IP identifications or transfer protocols in non-criminal cases.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2012, 02:27:40 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2012, 01:40:44 PM

In Germany, the ZPÜ collects the levy from the manufacturers and then distributes it to rights holders, most notably GEMA (who wanted to charge YouTube €0.12 for every music video viewed in Germany) or VG Wort (print media representative body).

Prices in Germany are €12.50 for scanners, €13.65 for PCs, multifunctional laser copier/printer/scanners with 40+ pages per minute €87.50, MP3 players €2.56, external HDs >1 TB €9.00 etc.

International overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy

Do GEMA and VG Wort disburse the proceeds only to German content producers, or worldwide?

Syt

Presumably they distrbute to the authors and composers (nwho are not necessarily the artists or distributors of the songs). They have pretty strong leverage in Germany. E.g. if you were to hold a public/commercial dance party you have to pay GEMA fees for the music played there. If you're not happy with that, YOU have to prove that the music you play is authored/composed by non-GEMA members (and this has been confirmed by legislation).

Sony and Universal in Germany have thrown hissy fits over GEMA blocking quite a few of their artists' videos on YouTube because GEMA thinks they don't get their fair share.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Btw, this circles back to my previous rant about the EU supposedly having a common, free market of goods and services (since 1992) which has yet to arrive for digital media.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

It is painfully obvious that the EU is an enormous disaster. I don't use the word failure since the purpose of the EU is murky at best.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2012, 02:07:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2012, 01:54:50 PM

That's a little circular.

I'm not sure that the problem with his argument is that it's circular.  The problem is that it doesn't seem to acknowledge what is meant by "judicial activism".  Essentially, a complaint about judicial activism is a complaint that the courts have exceeded their authority by interpreting a law is such a, uhm, shall we say, creative, way that a ruling can no longer be viewed as merely being interpretive.  The distinction between civil law and common law systems doesn't seem relevant to this.