European Court of Justice rules: You can resell digitally purchased software.

Started by Syt, July 03, 2012, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2012, 01:37:01 PM
The ruling sounds fine in theory.  It's the implementation that is bound to get messy.

I'm working out how they even could implement it.  This does not seem like that good a ruling.  Does it also mean that digital distributor also only a finine number of games it can sell?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 01:52:58 PM
Does it also mean that digital distributor also only a finine number of games it can sell?

They already do.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 03, 2012, 12:42:15 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 11:43:40 AM
I'm glad at least the European institutions are not in the pocket of big IP providers, since almost every other government is. Perhaps the world government is not such a bad idea after all - since only at the supra-national level it seems the governments (which ultimately have at least some sort of democratic legitimacy) are able to stand their ground to international corporations (which lack any whatsoever).

Arguably one of the big reasons that multinational corps have more difficulty influencing supra-national bodies is precisely because those bodies are less accountable and less democratic than national or sub-national bodies.

Oh that's true. But they are still more democratically accountable than multinational corps, which is my point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 03, 2012, 01:58:47 PM
Does it also mean that digital distributor also only a finine number of games it can sell?

They already do.

Really?  What is the limit?  I've never seen Steam say "sold out".  I suppose the best response to this is digital distributor to alter their contracts from purchase to rent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 03:21:02 PM

They already do.

Really?  What is the limit?  I've never seen Steam say "sold out".
and neither will you now. a bit of a strawman not?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 03, 2012, 03:43:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 03:21:02 PM

They already do.

Really?  What is the limit?  I've never seen Steam say "sold out".
and neither will you now. a bit of a strawman not?

Well no.  I was under the impression that scarcity of items was not a factor in digital distribution.  Scarcity of bandwidth or electrons, sure, but not titles.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 05:28:09 PM
Well no.  I was under the impression that scarcity of items was not a factor in digital distribution.  Scarcity of bandwidth or electrons, sure, but not titles.
Steam can run out of keycodes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2012, 05:53:18 PM

Possibly, but how many variables are there for one game? There are like 25 different digits which can use either a number or a letter.  I'm not good at math and don't know how to figure how many possible codes there are for one game.  Hundreds of Trillions?  And even if they did, they could just get rid of the requirement.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 06:51:46 PM

Possibly, but how many variables are there for one game? There are like 25 different digits which can use either a number or a letter.  I'm not good at math and don't know how to figure how many possible codes there are for one game.  Hundreds of Trillions?  And even if they did, they could just get rid of the requirement.

Digital retail work like brick & mortar retailers. They buy a finite amount of games from the publishers. While the B&M get a dvd in a box, the Digital retailer gets codes & a data file.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

meh. if it is in the contract that you are buying a license to use something and you cannot resell the license, why is the court able to change this?

Also, stuff like, if I buy a Bluray for  home use, and sell it to a cinema, who then use it to show it to an audience... I guess that's still not okay right? So in that case the license contract is holy. But why not when it comes to reselling?
Stupid.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2012, 07:09:29 AM
What kind of cinema would show Blu-Ray crap? A gypsy cinema?

it was just an example for ffs. change it to selling your bluray disc to a bluray renting shop. there

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2012, 06:54:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 06:51:46 PM

Digital retail work like brick & mortar retailers. They buy a finite amount of games from the publishers. While the B&M get a dvd in a box, the Digital retailer gets codes & a data file.

Can you prove this?