News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Local Museum.

Started by mongers, June 27, 2012, 07:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2012, 01:23:33 AM
The uniform and sword of Charles XII which he wore when he was killed.

In our local museum we have the bullet that killed him.
http://www.hkm.varberg.se/

And also Bockstensmannen, a 13th century tax collector dug out of a bog.

Sheilbh

The Museum of London's pretty good.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2012, 07:34:16 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 27, 2012, 07:22:46 PM
Mongers, visiting Stonehenge is on my to dos, and I haven't done it yet because I want to spend a couple days in the area. I understand that Stonehenge itself is a letdown and kind of tourist trap, but the museums and other sites in the area (including Salisbury) are first rate.

Yes, you've got it right. Lots to see and do; you can pretty much choose you period of historical interest and find some good examples in the area.

Personally I think one of the better way to see Stonehenge is to come upon it through the landscape it occupies, rather than just turning up in a car or coach and traipsing the 50 yards to the stones themselves.   

I usually visit the area, by cycling up the river valley from where I live and coming upon the stones from a secluded old drove way that for a couple of miles passes through the 'ritual' landscape within which it resides.

If you do make it to the area, I'd be more than happy to buy you a pint in one of the more historic boozers in Salisbury, or give you a 'guided' tour of part of the city.

edit:
Old Sarum, the original city of the city is worth a visit, a nice compact site with quite a bit to see and good views of the city.

Stonehenge is disappointing to a lot of visitors because it's not nearly as intact as photos of it typically suggest.

Sheilbh

I thought Stonehenge was really amazing when I went to see it :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valdemar

Obviously you weren't expecting much then :P

V

Josquius

Here.....Yeah. Some rubbishy prefectural museum which I don't understand.

At home we've rather a good one: http://www.beamish.org.uk/

Old buildings moved to show life as it was back in the good old days. Minus the cholera.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

There was a few small but really cool museums in Whitehorse.

In Edmonton?

Well there is the AGA - the Art Gallery of Alberta.  It's across the street from the courthouse (which in turn is across the street from my work).  I've never been inside but the building looks cool.

The Royal Alberta Museum was/is going to go into a new site across the street (on the other side) of the courthouse, and thus right next door to my work, but now that's been put on hold.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Some excellent recommendations here.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2012, 06:30:47 AM

Me too - I don't get the dissappointment. I thought it was an awesome sight. :mellow:

It was, however, not an experience that was enhanced by hippy "druids" dancing about the place.  :rolleyes:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

My suburb doesn't have traditional museum.

All 4 of them are children oriented. There's a Space, Biotech, Water interpretation & general museum.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on June 28, 2012, 08:02:43 AM

Me too - I don't get the dissappointment. I thought it was an awesome sight. :mellow:

It was, however, not an experience that was enhanced by hippy "druids" dancing about the place.  :rolleyes:

I wasn't saying it was disappointing, it is pretty awesome, but the rather outdated tourist facilities and the main roads detract from it.

And that exploring the landscape surrounding it, enhances one appreciation of it; which is why the plans to build a new visitors centre away from the stone and 'hide' the main roads were so encouraging, but as of now still 20 years on nothing appears to be happening.   :(

edit:
OK, there are now going to do something, starting next month; it's a more modest scheme, without tunnelling the major A303, but it should improve the site, details here:
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/our-plans/

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/our-plans/our-proposals/

They're hoping to go from this:

To this:

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on June 28, 2012, 08:35:45 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 28, 2012, 08:02:43 AM

I wasn't saying it was disappointing, it is pretty awesome, but the rather outdated tourist facilities and the main roads detract from it.

And that exploring the landscape surrounding it, enhances one appreciation of it; which is why the plans to build a new visitors centre away from the stone and 'hide' the main roads were so encouraging, but as of now still 20 years on nothing appears to be happening.   :(

edit:
OK, there are now going to do something, starting next month; it's a more modest scheme, without tunnelling the major A303, but it should improve the site, details here:
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/our-plans/

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/our-plans/our-proposals/

They're hoping to go from this:

To this:

Okay, gotcha - having a main road run right next to the site was perverse. WTF were the planners thinking?

I'd have loved to have the time to ramble about the landscape, which is covered with other sites within a walk, but it was not to be - my brother's wedding was the priority that trip.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

I think a lot of country roads are on old rights of way or Roman roads, so I imagine it was something like that - Tess of the d'Urbervilles suggests Stonehenge was easily accessible before cars :P

But it'll be really good to see it restored to its natural environment.  To be able to see how it sits in the landscape and, as you say, wander around to the other nearby henges would be great.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2012, 10:03:07 AM
I think a lot of country roads are on old rights of way or Roman roads, so I imagine it was something like that - Tess of the d'Urbervilles suggests Stonehenge was easily accessible before cars :P

But it'll be really good to see it restored to its natural environment.  To be able to see how it sits in the landscape and, as you say, wander around to the other nearby henges would be great.

In the case of these two main roads I don't think they are particularly old rights of way, I'd guess the section of the busy A303 in question is probably a relatively recent toll road in origin and there aren't any Roman roads in the immediate vicinity.

The old drove road I often use to visit the place, is probably far older, given both it's use of the landscape and the fact it doesn't appear to cut or overlay many, if any of the barrow systems in the 'ritual' landscape.

On the subject of Tess, generally all of the chalk downlands have had relatively good access and routes across them, much by virtue of drainage characteristics of the underlying rocks.

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on June 28, 2012, 09:57:39 AM

Okay, gotcha - having a main road run right next to the site was perverse. WTF were the planners thinking?

I'd have loved to have the time to ramble about the landscape, which is covered with other sites within a walk, but it was not to be - my brother's wedding was the priority that trip.

Give the motorists a nice view?
██████
██████
██████