And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Local Museum.

Started by mongers, June 27, 2012, 07:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2012, 11:23:16 PM
Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (Military History Museum

That was a great museum. I'd forgotten about the car when walking around and the feeling of entering that room and seing it was one of my best museum experiences. And the model of Viribus Unitis was great too.

Valmy

While there are not exactly shocking artifacts or works of art or anything I love the Texas State History Museum right here by UT Campus (though they have the declaration of Texas independence and Secession and all the sorts of stuff a museum like this should have).  I was so happy with how well they told the story and how they hit all the important points in just one building.  There is an entire rooming just detailing the sad tale of how each major native American tribe got screwed.  I know most people do not really care about Texas history, not even Texans do, but if you have even the slightest interest it is a enjoyable couple hours.

Or you go for the IMax theatre like most Texans do.  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Threviel on June 28, 2012, 12:50:13 AM
That was a great museum. I'd forgotten about the car when walking around and the feeling of entering that room and seing it was one of my best museum experiences. And the model of Viribus Unitis was great too.

I loved that museum and seeing that car was a shock, I did not know it was there.  The most important car in world history right there in front of me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on June 28, 2012, 12:50:13 AM
That was a great museum. I'd forgotten about the car when walking around and the feeling of entering that room and seing it was one of my best museum experiences.

Yep, great room. Of course it's a bit morbid that they also have the sofa on which he died. And the uniform with blood stains. But that's what Viennese people do. You can also visit the Imperial Tombs or the Funerary Museum. And of course the Zentralfriedhof with its 3 million "inhabitants" (almost twice as much as living people in Vienna) is an attraction in and of its own, with its honorary graves, 1900s church, large park, Jewish and Red Army sections . . .
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The Vasa Museum:

Not as strictly local as the Vasa but I like the Royal Armoury:

The uniform and sword of Charles XII which he wore when he was killed.

The horse of Gustavus Adolphus, Streiff, which he rode at Lützen:

The buff coat of Gustavus Adolphus which he wore at Lützen. Speaking of Vienna it was brought there after the battle and was given to Sweden after WW1 as a thank you for the efforts of the Swedish Red Cross during the war.

The outfit of Gustav III which he wore when he was shot by an assassin at a masked ball in 1792. He died a few weeks later. The museum also displays the assassin's mask and weapons.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

It's an interesting building, but only used for exhibitions really. And about to go bankrupt.

Also: cool thread :)
I went to the Wiltshire museum twice only to find it closed both times, and I really need to get back to Vienna  :(

Liep

The local museum is the Carlsberg brewery museum, not to be confused with the better and way more interesting Carlsberg Glyptotek.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2012, 01:23:33 AM

The buff coat of Gustavus Adolphus which he wore at Lützen.

The outfit of Gustav III which he wore when he was shot by an assassin at a masked ball in 1792. He died a few weeks later. The museum also displays the assassin's mask and weapons.

So it's a Swedish hall of shame? ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

For Viennese museums my favorites are probably the Schatzkammer (for its Habsburg and HRE imperial jewellery) and the Art Historical Museum (15th-17th century paintings, Egyptian and Greco-Roman collections, and the soon to be re-opened collection of sculptures/artisanhsip).
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on June 28, 2012, 02:08:12 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2012, 01:23:33 AM

The buff coat of Gustavus Adolphus which he wore at Lützen.

So it's a Swedish hall of shame? ;)

OK, Auschwitz.

Syt

I think that's a Polish museum. :goodboy: Austria has Mauthausen, though.

Not strictly a museum, but at Schwedenplatz (named after where the Swedes camped in 1683, I think?) there used to be the Gestapo HQ. The house has been removed, but they left the foundations standing and turned it into a little park.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2012, 11:23:16 PM
Take your pick:

Naturhistorisches Museum (Museum of Art History)

And more. Vienna is a compact city, so I consider them all LOCAL. :P

That's the Kunsthistorisches Museum  :contract:

As a Parisian, it's le Louvre über alles.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on June 28, 2012, 02:18:58 AM
I think that's a Polish museum. :goodboy: Austria has Mauthausen, though.

Not strictly a museum, but at Schwedenplatz (named after where the Swedes camped in 1683, I think?) there used to be the Gestapo HQ. The house has been removed, but they left the foundations standing and turned it into a little park.

Interesting. I looked into that and Wiki claims that it was renamed Schwedenplatz in the 1920s in honor of Swedish relief efforts after WW1.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2012, 02:30:07 AM
Interesting. I looked into that and Wiki claims that it was renamed Schwedenplatz in the 1920s in honor of Swedish relief efforts after WW1.

Well, something Swedish. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valdemar

My local museum physically is this: http://natmus.dk/besoeg-museerne/frilandsmuseet/

An outdoors muesum where they over time have gathered old buildings from around the country and rebuild them piece by piece. Mostly variations of farmhouses, mills, smithies and that sort of things. More urban city buildings have been gathered in a comparable museum in Aarhus.

I like the outdoors atmosphere there and for some reason I like the big windmills and the watermills from southern sweden (which was Danish back then)

As to favourtite museums I prefer the Louisiana, modern art, the Viking ship museum in Roskilde, both for the actual finds and for their recreations of the ships using the orginal building practises as they reinvent them

There is one museum I'd like to visit, Davids Samling, but it has been closed for renovations for a long time, only recently reopened and its not a place to take the kids. Its originally a private collection, one of the worlds largest as I understand it of islamic art works: http://www.davidmus.dk/en

V