News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Local Museum.

Started by mongers, June 27, 2012, 07:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I'm having museum envy.  The Ed Anger museum is awesome but it's not close enough to Cincy to call it my local musem.  In Cincy itself we have a decent kids museum and a pretty good art museum.  I guess the Cincinnati Museum Center is semi-notable, since it was used as the basis for the Hall of Justice on Superfriends :mellow:

Oh, and, uh, there's the creation museum over across the river :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

We have Museum in the State capital.  They have letter written over a hundred years ago about pigs, an illegible message carved in the wood of a maple tree, a betamax video cassette player dating from the last century and the prize exhibit: a 1958 Desote that ancient Missourians used in settling the state.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2012, 03:53:23 PM
I'm having museum envy.  The Ed Anger museum is awesome but it's not close enough to Cincy to call it my local musem.  In Cincy itself we have a decent kids museum and a pretty good art museum.  I guess the Cincinnati Museum Center is semi-notable, since it was used as the basis for the Hall of Justice on Superfriends :mellow:

Oh, and, uh, there's the creation museum over across the river :ph34r:

Frankly, I count anything within an hour's drive as local.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Dont know where the local one is. Dont care. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 28, 2012, 05:53:47 PM

Hour & a half for me :contract:

I keep wanting to take my kid to Serpent Mound but can't justify the 3 to 3.5 hours worth of driving to do so.  Would be different if they had something else nearby worth doing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 04:03:50 PM
We have Museum in the State capital.  They have letter written over a hundred years ago about pigs, an illegible message carved in the wood of a maple tree, a betamax video cassette player dating from the last century and the prize exhibit: a 1958 Desote that ancient Missourians used in settling the state.

It isn't in Jefferson City, or even Missouri (though it is near St. Louis), but I think Cahokia is one of the best places in the country. It seems crazy to me that what is in St. Louis gets so much publicity but a borderline worldclass site a few miles away is barely mentioned. And from what I've seen, gets few visitors.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2012, 07:30:35 PM

I keep wanting to take my kid to Serpent Mound but can't justify the 3 to 3.5 hours worth of driving to do so.  Would be different if they had something else nearby worth doing.

Take him to the creationist museum. It is a hoot.

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2012, 07:30:35 PM

Wow...that's....madness. An hours travel of any sort is pushing it in my book let alone driving. That could take you into a totally different part of Britain easily.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Other fun "local" museums:

Neil armstrongs in wapokentka. Gus grissom's in Indiana. That one is a bit sad.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 28, 2012, 09:37:35 PM
Gus grissom's in Indiana. That one is a bit sad.

He was vindicated.  He knows it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 28, 2012, 09:37:35 PM
Other fun "local" museums:

Not only does Maryland have the largest Stars Wars toys and collectibles museum, in the same building it also houses the nation's largest contiguous Hamster Habitat.

Ed Anger

Indiana had a fruit jar museum in Muncie.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 28, 2012, 09:43:36 PM
Not only does Maryland have the largest Stars Wars toys and collectibles museum, in the same building it also houses the nation's largest contiguous Hamster Habitat.

Maryland truly is one of the great centers of world culture and civilization.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

In Philly it was the Mummers Museum:

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Syt

What's their slogan? "Mum's the word?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.