News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Local Museum.

Started by mongers, June 27, 2012, 07:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

In the week I paid a visit to the local museum, the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum; I'd forgotten what a great attraction it is.

I spent about and 1 3/4 hours there and hadn't seen all the exhibits, by the time it closed, I shall have to go back.

So what is you local museum like and what other ones would you recommend ?

Details of the Salisbury museum here:
http://www.salisburymuseum.org.uk/about-us/about-the-museum/

I have to say it's a magical place, housed in a 13th century grade I listed building within the close opposite Salisbury Cathedral, the day I visited there weren't too many other visitors, so you often had the particular room to yourself, just the sound of the creaking floorboards as you walked about and birdsong filtering through the open windows.

The building itself is a warren of rooms, which will get you lost, but every turn provides a new room of unexpected exhibits.

It's strengths are the archaeological, Stonehenge, Saxon and medieval collections, but I was surprised to find one gallery containing some Turners:

Definitely worth a visit, especially if you're going to Stonehenge, as much of the museums content provides to context within which to place one understanding of the rather touristified world heritage site.   :hmm:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Mongers, visiting Stonehenge is on my to dos, and I haven't done it yet because I want to spend a couple days in the area. I understand that Stonehenge itself is a letdown and kind of tourist trap, but the museums and other sites in the area (including Salisbury) are first rate.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

The National Great Blacks In Wax Museum
1601-03 East North Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21213

Across from the Courthouse.  Easy access to parking and Chick n' Trout Carry-Out.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on June 27, 2012, 07:22:46 PM
Mongers, visiting Stonehenge is on my to dos, and I haven't done it yet because I want to spend a couple days in the area. I understand that Stonehenge itself is a letdown and kind of tourist trap, but the museums and other sites in the area (including Salisbury) are first rate.

Yes, you've got it right. Lots to see and do; you can pretty much choose you period of historical interest and find some good examples in the area.

Personally I think one of the better way to see Stonehenge is to come upon it through the landscape it occupies, rather than just turning up in a car or coach and traipsing the 50 yards to the stones themselves.   

I usually visit the area, by cycling up the river valley from where I live and coming upon the stones from a secluded old drove way that for a couple of miles passes through the 'ritual' landscape within which it resides.

If you do make it to the area, I'd be more than happy to buy you a pint in one of the more historic boozers in Salisbury, or give you a 'guided' tour of part of the city.

edit:
Old Sarum, the original city of the city is worth a visit, a nice compact site with quite a bit to see and good views of the city.

alfred russel

If I get a chance to get to the area, I'll definitely look you up.  :cheers:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on June 27, 2012, 07:40:17 PM

He'll be over there, pissing on the tree.  No, the other one.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on June 27, 2012, 07:40:17 PM

:cheers:

Oh I forgot to mention that the Cathedral has the best preserved of the four remaining 'original' Magna Cartas, in comparison the two in the British Library are a bit disappointing.  :bowler:

garbon

What isn't my local museum? :P

Most frequent haunt would probably be the Met. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 07:52:35 PM

:cool:

Though if you live in one of the 'world capitals' I think it's a bit of a cheat to describe national museums as your local; when I lived in London my local ones would have included the British Museum, the V&A, The Tate etc.   

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2012, 07:55:48 PM

Though if you live in one of the 'world capitals' I think it's a bit of a cheat to describe national museums as your local; when I lived in London my local ones would have included the British Museum, the V&A, The Tate etc.   

Well alright - the Brooklyn museum is nice too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 07:58:07 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2012, 07:55:48 PM

Well alright - the Brooklyn museum is nice too.

:hug:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Syt

I know. :P If we go for local history, then The Wien Museum at Karlsplatz and the Jewish Museum would probably qualify. Also, the districts themselves all have small museums, too, though I've never been to one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.