News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect Ending Spoiler Thread

Started by Faeelin, March 14, 2012, 10:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on April 12, 2012, 11:50:52 AM
Also, some of it doesn't make any kind of sense. Where does Shepherd's wound come from?  It looks like he was shot in the exact place where he shot Anderson.

Indoctrination Theory answers all.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

The entire series was about choices and diplomacy.  Then, in the last 3 minutes, everything becomes different colored lights.  I think the ending deserves a lot of the shit it gets. 
See, that's a common misconception.  The three choices have pretty enormous implications, even if the artwork is similar.
QuoteAlso, some of it doesn't make any kind of sense. Where does Shepherd's wound come from?  It looks like he was shot in the exact place where he shot Anderson.
Shot by Marauder Shields?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Habbaku on April 12, 2012, 12:04:31 PM
Also, some of it doesn't make any kind of sense. Where does Shepherd's wound come from?  It looks like he was shot in the exact place where he shot Anderson.
Indoctrination Theory answers all.
Yeah, but it's also untrue.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 12, 2012, 12:56:25 PM
The entire series was about choices and diplomacy.  Then, in the last 3 minutes, everything becomes different colored lights.  I think the ending deserves a lot of the shit it gets. 
See, that's a common misconception.  The three choices have pretty enormous implications, even if the artwork is similar.

Not really. The series ends there, so it doesn't really matter much what choice you picked. Also, it doesn't really seem to align with the choices you've made throughout the game.  That's why I hated the whole pick the quarians or geth. The choice felt forced and not in a particularly inspired way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2012, 10:18:14 AM
I tend to agree with Neil on this.  The ending wasn't nearly as bad as people make it to be.  There are flaws, for sure, but it ain't broken beyond redemption.

I disagree with those who want a fairy tale ending.  I disagree that Sheppard should single handedly challenge the Reaper boss and send them packing home.  I also disagree that somehow, a fight that we're constantly told for 3 games that we cannot win is suddenly winnable by conventional means. 

Having the Crucible destroy the Reaper fleet as soon as it docks on the Citadel would be equally cheating, it would be a Deus Ex Machina just as the Catalyst is considered.

As it is now, the ending is mostly consistent with Mass Effect lore and most plotholes aren't, they are simply people who never read the codex and don't pay attention to in game dialog.

I guess that's a nice strawman as I don't think the main complaint has been that Shepard can't live. It's really that the choices at the end run roughshod over all the choices you've made over the course of the game.  Well that and they aren't particularly compelling. :D

Of course I really should have guessed something like that given how many dream sequences you have to spend running after a dead child. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 01:28:31 PM
I guess that's a nice strawman as I don't think the main complaint has been that Shepard can't live.
Read Bioware's forum.  It's filled to the brim with threads like "I want my blue babies" or "What kind of sad person does not want a good ending??"

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on April 18, 2012, 10:09:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2012, 01:28:31 PM
I guess that's a nice strawman as I don't think the main complaint has been that Shepard can't live.
Read Bioware's forum.  It's filled to the brim with threads like "I want my blue babies" or "What kind of sad person does not want a good ending??"

Well at least I don't recall anyone making that complaint here.  I can't speak for the general populace, especially on boards I don't visit. :P

viper37

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2012, 10:10:19 AM
Well at least I don't recall anyone making that complaint here.  I can't speak for the general populace, especially on boards I don't visit. :P
You should visit.  It's a really nice forum... filled with weird kids & über nerds who seem to play for a living, or have no life to speak of :P
There are some interesting threads like "Guys, there are girls playing this game!!!"  :D

I've abandonned playing the MP game.  Too many bugs, too many kids.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I'm not a fan of the MP game.  As it just throws random level players in, I've find it pretty common to reach the 10th level and then get slaughtered.

Faeelin

So, the new ending is out today.

Apparently it lets you shoot the star child.  :lol:

Legbiter

The extended DLC is out and it takes almost all of the shitfuck out of the previous endings and adds a brand new ending.

I'm willing to grant Canada the right to exist as a nation in light of these developments.

P.S. Don't shoot the Starbrat.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.