News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect Ending Spoiler Thread

Started by Faeelin, March 14, 2012, 10:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2012, 04:44:20 PM
Interesting.  Would Earth then be populated with the survivors of the fleet until the development of Mass Relay technology? There would presumably be a lot of empty spaces to fill on earth.
No, because they could just go home.  Sur'Kesh is fairly close, and Tuchanka and Palaven not that much further.  Thessia is a ways, and Rannoch is almost as far as a world can be though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

That's a pretty huge chunk of the fleet if you manage to patch things up between the Quarians and the Geth, though.  The entire military arm of the Quarian fleet-and possibly a lot of militarized civilian ships.  You are looking at a substantial % of the total Quarian population on the exact opposite side of the galaxy as Rannoch.

I think the Geth and the Rachni wouldn't really give a shit about what planets they were allowed to inhabit, though.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2012, 06:44:22 PM
That's a pretty huge chunk of the fleet if you manage to patch things up between the Quarians and the Geth, though.  The entire military arm of the Quarian fleet-and possibly a lot of militarized civilian ships.  You are looking at a substantial % of the total Quarian population on the exact opposite side of the galaxy as Rannoch.

I think the Geth and the Rachni wouldn't really give a shit about what planets they were allowed to inhabit, though.
The geth and the rachni don't care at all (in fact, the geth aren't really that interested in planetary systems much at all).  As for the quarians, Earth is still fatal to them.  The only planet that really matters to them is Rannoch, and they're pretty familiar with long-term space travel.  What's a year or two against the lifetime they've already spent in space?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

A year or two?  How fast past the speed of light are we talking?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2012, 07:12:23 PM
A year or two?  How fast past the speed of light are we talking?
They never quantify it.  I'm just basing travel times on the Reapers coming in from dark space.

Queequeg

I presumed they used the Relay system. You murder a lot of Batarians on that assumption.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2012, 08:41:18 PM
I presumed they used the Relay system. You murder a lot of Batarians on that assumption.
Once they get to a relay, sure.  Remember though that the whole point of Mass Effect 1 was to prevent Sovereign from activating the relay from Dark Space, of which our end is the Citadel.  I think that they reentered the galaxy under standard FTL.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2012, 09:02:15 PM
Once they get to a relay, sure.  Remember though that the whole point of Mass Effect 1 was to prevent Sovereign from activating the relay from Dark Space, of which our end is the Citadel.  I think that they reentered the galaxy under standard FTL.

If that was the case than ME1 looks pretty silly. Shepard's crew just dicked around saying nothing when in a few years they knew the Reapers would show up?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
If that was the case than ME1 looks pretty silly. Shepard's crew just dicked around saying nothing when in a few years they knew the Reapers would show up?
Actually, they were dismissed by most people as raving lunatics.  How much attention do people get in the US when they call for everyone to prepare for the Rapture?

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2012, 09:22:45 PM
Actually, they were dismissed by most people as raving lunatics.  How much attention do people get in the US when they call for everyone to prepare for the Rapture?

And yet somehow Shepard is unique and can get powerful individuals of different stripes to believe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2012, 09:26:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2012, 09:22:45 PM
And yet somehow Shepard is unique and can get powerful individuals of different stripes to believe.
Actually, pretty much nobody of any real importance believes him until the Reapers actually show up.  Shepard gets props for stopping Saren and the Collectors, but he doesn't have the evidence to support his claims until they show up and start cutting the batarians to pieces.

Queequeg

I think most people were on board around the time the Collectors were destroyed.  Palaven was building defenses, and it looked like Shepard was in some kind of mixed detention/preparation for invasion. 

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2012, 11:58:42 PM
I think most people were on board around the time the Collectors were destroyed.  Palaven was building defenses, and it looked like Shepard was in some kind of mixed detention/preparation for invasion.
Palaven is always building defences.  That's what happens when the state and the army are the same thing.  The asari and the salarians remained unmoved.  I will say that Shepard did have two important and powerful allies outside his squadmates:  Anderson and Hackett.

viper37

Remember ME2 when you visit the council... they dismiss you saying it was just a Geth ship and the file is closed.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on March 29, 2012, 09:56:31 AM
Remember ME2 when you visit the council... they dismiss you saying it was just a Geth ship and the file is closed.

Yes and then Shepard alone is able to get the Illusive Man to finance an expedition. The Illusive Man points out that such is why he brought Shepard back to life because of his unique ability to get the job done.  Far-fetched that Shepard is so uniquely charismatic...although I guess I can understand why the dithering Kaidan was ineffectual. :D