News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect Ending Spoiler Thread

Started by Faeelin, March 14, 2012, 10:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: katmai on March 14, 2012, 04:06:52 PM
I wouldn't know, I gave up on that series after first one.
then why are you constantly playing ME3?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on March 15, 2012, 06:13:19 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 14, 2012, 06:42:02 PM
:huh:
:lol:  I think he missed your point.

I agree with you, though.  I couldn't finish the second one, and had zero desire to try the third.

Kinda like ME and me, in fact.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

BTW how come nobody mentioned the Hyperion series? It has much the same ending.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 15, 2012, 06:35:35 AM
BTW how come nobody mentioned the Hyperion series? It has much the same ending.
Because no one ever finished that series?  No one knows (or cares) how it ends.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: katmai on March 15, 2012, 06:13:19 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 14, 2012, 06:42:02 PM
:huh:
I thought you said you gave up on Mass Effect after the first game, but you were talking about the Matrix :)  Sorry :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

:lol:

My latest speculation is that they came up with the 2 (or 3) choice ending is to ease the intake of the endings. What do I mean? When I watched the blue ending, first thing was to go back to the latest possible save and see the red ending.

Now, if the endings were tied to paragon or renegade scores, ie non-selectable, and I would have done an other game from sracth to see the one I haven't, just to see that the mass effect gates get blown up and civilization as I know it destroyed in both cases, now that would have been a letdown.

Despite of course, that it makes sense. Just think through the 3rd game's story - it is in complete lack of hope, and your making decisions between two bad things usually. It makes perfect sense to only let you choose between varying degrees of destruction.

Still of course, the ending sucks and they should have figured out something better, particularly I could have lived without the "level above the Reapers" god-kid.

But when I think about what I really miss - it is a take on how the universe will look after the ending. But, that's pretty much a given except you don't get cutscenes about it. If you let the krogans have babies again, they will multiply and in the newfound isolation rebuild their once thriving civilization, etc.

So to summarize, I still wish they have done it better but I am not as bitter as I was initially, and I certainly can't sympathize with this huge nerdrage on the Internet.

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on March 15, 2012, 04:41:09 PM

So, ME2: average game with great ending.  ME3: excellent game with weak ending.  I don't know what to choose... :D

Queequeg

ME2 was at least as good as 3.  Probably better.  The "cinematic" quality of ME3 will severely limit replay value. 

I'm pretty goddamned pissed.  #2 on that article really hit me.  I'm pretty pissed.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

So one of the three endings-and the only one where Shepherd survives-entails wiping out *all* synthetic life.  Including the Geth.  This actually makes you worse than the reapers. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on March 18, 2012, 11:18:46 PM
ME2 was at least as good as 3.  Probably better.  The "cinematic" quality of ME3 will severely limit replay value. 

I'm pretty goddamned pissed.  #2 on that article really hit me.  I'm pretty pissed.
On release, ME2 was a very simplistic and short game.  Only when you add all the DLCs, including the Shadow broker does the game truly shine.

The emphasis was made on quick combat action, get in one place, shoot the ennemy, get out.  With ME3, it's like there's a story being told, and I'm part of it.
In ME2, the scanning mini game was boring and silly.  The hacking mini game was silly.
With ME3, only the galaxy scanning "let's not alert the Reapers" gets tedious the second time the Reapers come in the star system.

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on March 18, 2012, 11:59:21 PM
So one of the three endings-and the only one where Shepherd survives-entails wiping out *all* synthetic life.  Including the Geth.  This actually makes you worse than the reapers. 
does EDI survive when you make that choice?

Legbiter

Quote from: Queequeg on March 18, 2012, 11:59:21 PM

:yes:

Control ending = TIM.

Synthesis/space hippy ending = Saren.

Destroy Ending = Anderson.

Destroy is the still a horrible ending. You fail as Shepard to preserve galactic civilization and it shits all over your choices thus far, paragon or renegade.

This review sums up the game pretty well.

http://calitreview.com/24673

QuoteWithout giving anything away, (directly, as all subsequent links will contain some spoilers) the ending, by which I mean the final five to ten minutes, of Mass Effect 3 is easily the worst finale I've seen compared to the preceding quality that came before it – in any medium. At literally every level, it's objectively terrible.

Sloppy execution that reuses art assets reveals that it's a hurried inclusion. The under thought and over pretentious dialogue does nothing but create bizarre, confusing plot holes. It even commits the same sin The Devil Inside did earlier this year, and has the gall to add an advertisement by the producers at the end of the credits, which is frankly insulting.

Far more importantly though, it betrays key themes and values well established by the series thus far. Past player choice impacting the shape of events is negated in favor of an arbitrary and poorly explained "pick your favorite color" moment. Science fiction justification in an otherwise material world is abandoned for magical deism, since quite literally, a god in a machine appears. Unification through altruism and sacrifice is thrown out for pure nihilism: each of the choices you're forced to make results in Shepard committing some level of genocide or another, with the benefits removed from any relatable emotional touchstone to the intangible space of far flung statistics. It even manages to make The Reapers, one of the more imposing forces of antagonism in recent memory, come across as foolish pawns.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Kleves

That was the worst ending I've seen since Neon Genesis Evangelion - which it actually is somewhat similar to. It makes me wonder not only why, but how it could have happened; how could a series with such a rich background and such generally excellent writing been allowed to have such a horrible ending?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.