News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect Ending Spoiler Thread

Started by Faeelin, March 14, 2012, 10:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2012, 08:03:34 PM
They never quantify it.  I'm just basing travel times on the Reapers coming in from dark space.
The Reapers are much more technologically advanced than any other race. I don't think we can assume that their FTL abilities are par for all races.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2012, 11:01:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 29, 2012, 09:56:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
If that was the case than ME1 looks pretty silly. Shepard's crew just dicked around saying nothing when in a few years they knew the Reapers would show up?
Remember ME2 when you visit the council... they dismiss you saying it was just a Geth ship and the file is closed.
Yes and then Shepard alone is able to get the Illusive Man to finance an expedition. The Illusive Man points out that such is why he brought Shepard back to life because of his unique ability to get the job done.  Far-fetched that Shepard is so uniquely charismatic...although I guess I can understand why the dithering Kaidan was ineffectual. :D
Shepard didn't convince the Illusive Man to do anything, as he was dead when the Illusive Man made his decision.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2012, 11:57:26 AM
If that was the case than ME1 looks pretty silly. Shepard's crew just dicked around saying nothing when in a few years they knew the Reapers would show up?
Remember ME2 when you visit the council... they dismiss you saying it was just a Geth ship and the file is closed.
Yes and then Shepard alone is able to get the Illusive Man to finance an expedition. The Illusive Man points out that such is why he brought Shepard back to life because of his unique ability to get the job done.  Far-fetched that Shepard is so uniquely charismatic...although I guess I can understand why the dithering Kaidan was ineffectual. :D
Shepard didn't convince the Illusive Man to do anything, as he was dead when the Illusive Man made his decision.

The Illusive Man stated that he spent his resources to bring Shepard back as he felt that Shepard was uniquely gifted to carry out the task. Shepard had the ability to corral people into doing things for him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Kleves on March 29, 2012, 11:12:02 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2012, 08:03:34 PM
They never quantify it.  I'm just basing travel times on the Reapers coming in from dark space.
The Reapers are much more technologically advanced than any other race. I don't think we can assume that their FTL abilities are par for all races.
They're definitely faster than standard ships as a function of their extremely large element zero cores.  That said, I'm not sure that they're all that much faster than the Normandy.  While they're more advanced, they haven't really been focusing on improving themselves.  Even if you extend the transit times a bit, it's not like it's going to collapse interstellar trade.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2012, 12:00:23 PM
The Illusive Man stated that he spent his resources to bring Shepard back as he felt that Shepard was uniquely gifted to carry out the task. Shepard had the ability to corral people into doing things for him.
I can accept that.  And I'm sure Shepard's status as the human Spectre added the appeal for the Illusive Man.  It's always nice to have a celebrity on board, and Shepard legitimizes Cerberus just by working with them.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2012, 12:00:23 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2012, 11:57:26 AM

Shepard = The Exile (from KOTOR 2)

Having the ability to corral people into doing things for you does not mean you will be 100% successfull 100% of the times.  And the effect a natural born leader like Sheppard may have on people who've known him personally would be different than with aliens who consider humans to be some inferior form.

A ship captain may be well liked by his crew, but it may not be the same with the top admiralty.

In this case, Shepard manage to convince people who already suspected something foulish was happening.
Garrus was tracking Saren, Ash&Keydan were soldiers following orders, Liara was studying Protheans and knew of the Reapers, Grunt was in for the fight.

The council, well, they are diplomats, not soldiers, not scientists.  They believe widespread panick is worst than anything and do not want to look ridiculous if the threat is not real.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

That made me laugh :D
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/supplydepot/

• Endless hours of gaming including repeat playthroughs and Endurance Mode!
  • Deep, rewarding gameplay—multilevel play control allows you to both RAISE and LOWER Supply Depot!
  • Riveting backstory set in the StarCraft game universe!

• Get up close and personal with an iconic StarCraft hero!
    • Multiple endings, each influenced by your choices and color-coded for your convenience! (Further epic endings planned for post release as downloadable content.)
  • Tens of hundreds of thousands of unlockable hats!

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Neil

I approve of them not changing the endings, but I'm glad they're doing an epilogue.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Legbiter

Throwing good writing after bad isn't going to fix the ending, that's just polishing a turd.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Neil

You know, the ending really didn't bother me.  I found the last decision to be quite meaningful.

viper37

I tend to agree with Neil on this.  The ending wasn't nearly as bad as people make it to be.  There are flaws, for sure, but it ain't broken beyond redemption.

I disagree with those who want a fairy tale ending.  I disagree that Sheppard should single handedly challenge the Reaper boss and send them packing home.  I also disagree that somehow, a fight that we're constantly told for 3 games that we cannot win is suddenly winnable by conventional means. 

Having the Crucible destroy the Reaper fleet as soon as it docks on the Citadel would be equally cheating, it would be a Deus Ex Machina just as the Catalyst is considered.

As it is now, the ending is mostly consistent with Mass Effect lore and most plotholes aren't, they are simply people who never read the codex and don't pay attention to in game dialog.

Queequeg

The entire series was about choices and diplomacy.  Then, in the last 3 minutes, everything becomes different colored lights.  I think the ending deserves a lot of the shit it gets. 

Also, some of it doesn't make any kind of sense. Where does Shepherd's wound come from?  It looks like he was shot in the exact place where he shot Anderson.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on April 12, 2012, 11:50:52 AM
Also, some of it doesn't make any kind of sense. Where does Shepherd's wound come from?  It looks like he was shot in the exact place where he shot Anderson.
A result of the blast on Earth, in London.  He is seen limping toward Marauder Shields, and he is then shot before coming back to his senses.